Author Topic: Any Experience Brightening Up Hubcaps?  (Read 5017 times)

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
Any Experience Brightening Up Hubcaps?
« on: June 27, 2013, 14:47:24 »
Hey guys,

I recently got ahold of 13 used hubcaps in great condition. No pitting/rash/dings at all. Only 3 of them are in almost mint condition, whereas the rest have some fading on them.
Any of you guys experienced in getting the shine back to those caps? Any polish compound/procedure you know?

Thanks
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

w113dude

Re: Any Experience Brightening Up Hubcaps?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 15:09:00 »
I use this paste for chrome parts, but it all depends how bad the parts are, does a great job of cleaning and polishing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Chrome-Metal-Polish-Wheel-Cleaner-Paste-10-oz-Tub-Car-Auto-Detail-39527-/141004618013?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item20d487b91d&vxp=mtr

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 18:48:41 »
Spear,

If they are chrome, as w113dude says, metal polish.

The stainless ones are a different matter.  There are reproductions floating around, and these just don't polish up as well as the OEM stainless.  Different grade of stainless.  Protocol is the same--metal polish and buffing.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 19:39:06 »
This is a slight deviation from the topic but still applicable. I just noticed that Mercedes brought back the 14" steel chromed
hubcap for those before the stainless cap came to being. You still have to paint them of course. That is one way to have super shiny hubcaps. Not cheap as you would expect.

A115 401 03 24
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

SilverSpear

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 21:10:26 »
Shaun, thanks for the link. This compound seems interesting, wouldn't hurt to get and use not only on caps, but for the rest of the car too.

Michael, I think they are stainless. Got all 13 for $50 lol.

Dan

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 00:00:54 »
Michael, I think they are stainless. Got all 13 for $50 lol.

Interestingly some of the stainless ones (the repros) were magnetic; the OEM stainless were not (maybe the other way around...)
But easy enough to tell: chrome plated steel would certainly have a small amount of rust on the backside unless they were exceptionally well maintained.

And, in case you didn't know, you got a great deal. :D  Hope they were not stolen! :o
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

SilverSpear

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:53 »
Interestingly some of the stainless ones (the repros) were magnetic; the OEM stainless were not (maybe the other way around...)
But easy enough to tell: chrome plated steel would certainly have a small amount of rust on the backside unless they were exceptionally well maintained.

And, in case you didn't know, you got a great deal. :D  Hope they were not stolen! :o

My OEM's had rust on the back side and the fronts. The ones I got are in very good condition.

Bought them from a well known (around here) breakage yard, they don't deal with stolen vehicles. They had over 200 hubcaps and spent a good deal of time inspecting each and every one of those until I narrowed them down to 13.

Michael, some sellers do not really know the value of what they have, others who are better exposed to the web, do know. For example I currently have 2 complete P/S boxes and one great core of which I nailed at $120, $50 and $60 respectively... How much are those normally selling in the US?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:55 »
complete P/S boxes and one great core of which I nailed at $120, $50 and $60 respectively... How much are those normally selling in the US?

A rebuilt OEM p/s pump (rebuilt by C&M Hydraulics, apparently the "leader" in this in the USA) for a 69 280SL is about $200 with core...which means you'll find some prices a bit higher and lower, but that's a good number to use. They carry a $200 core charge so if you don't have a core, it's about $400. A wrecking yard is a good place to go for some used parts, no doubt. But, if you "pick and pull" it is lower cost than having someone do it, clean up the part, identity it, verify working status, and then "market" it on a website!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid