Author Topic: Steering Wheel Lock  (Read 99 times)

RWELLS

• Junior Level
  • USA, NM, Farmington
Steering Wheel Lock
« on: May 14, 2024, 20:51:53 »
New Member here !

I have long wanted a Pagoda SL but missed the boat on reasonable prices. I have however picked up a absolute basket case that will be going to a restoration shop for their inventory to restore for a customer or a spec build.
Here is my question, the car came without a key and the steering appears to be locked although I don't know how it would be since it's not tied to the ignition as far as I can tell. So What can I do or how is it done to unlock the steering wheel so the steering will move to get it on the transporter.

Thanks in advance
Rick

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: Steering Wheel Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 22:21:06 »
If it's just to be able to steer the car, I would remove the steering lock assembly. It's a bit of a pain to get to. The lock assembly is clamped to the steering column. You will have to open the clamp and probably loosed the column itself a bit. (See picture)
Above is for a 230 / early 250 but I believe the later ones are similar.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

RWELLS

• Junior Level
  • USA, NM, Farmington
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:55:53 »
Thanks Dirk,

I see now how it works. It's not going to be fun this car has sat outside since 87 with glass broken since who knows when there is all kinds of junk on the floor and the seat will have to come out I'm going to assume some mice have taken up residence at some time. The goods news is it came out of AZ so a little dryer than usual.

Rick

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: Today at 18:06:49 »
Rick, I would highly recommend that you sign up for full membership in the group. It will be the best $30 you will spend on your car. It gives you full access to the tech manual, two Pagoda World magazines per year, and four issues of our newsletter, Pagoda Notes.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor