Author Topic: Repair for RH ventilation plate  (Read 2924 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Repair for RH ventilation plate
« on: May 07, 2015, 08:29:29 »
My chrome ventilation plate, on the right hand side of the dashboard is missing one of the locating pins that hold it into the dashboard. It has just sat there until I recently had it off to work further in behind the instrument cluster.  When I put it back it tends to spring out, I think the smaller air vent tube might be pushing it out. 

As most will know these plates are made out of diecast so there is know way of welding a locating pin back on, and I don't want to have to re-chrome afterwards, either.  The plate wall itself is very thin so it doesn't seem possible to drill and tap for a new stud.  Any ideas?  Of course if someone has a pristine complete ventilation plate for a very reasonable price I cuold look at that too!!
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Repair for RH ventilation plate
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 14:41:33 »
Double-sided tape.

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 18:48:41 »
Brilliant thanks Stick!  Also i would like to thank you for a past post on removing the dashboard  light switch.  Some time ago I attempted to do this and couldn't remove the knob with what I thought was reasonable force.  I searched this website and saw your post on how much force was required to move it (heaps0 and lo and behold off it came.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 19:29:10 »
The invoice is in the post! ;D