Author Topic: Kangol  (Read 6197 times)

Tom Colitt

Kangol
« on: July 31, 2008, 22:40:20 »
Here is some interesting trivia I came across during my research to reproduce the Kangol Magnet seat belt logo:

"Kangol is a clothing company famous for its headwear.
Founded in Cleator, Cumbria, England in 1938 by Jakob Spreiregen (German, Jewish name?), Kangol (the K from silK or Knitting or Knitted, the ANG from angora, the OL from wool) produced hats for workers, golfers, and especially soldiers - they were the major beret suppliers to the armed forces during World War II, including famously Field Marshal Montgomery. They also had a subsidiary called Kangol Magnet which made seat belt products throughout the 90s at least.

Does anyone know of a company that prints actual thin aluminum placards, rather than mylar imitation "aluminum"?

Regards,

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Kangol
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 00:47:24 »
So what's with the 'roo? Wiki doesn't tell us

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

paulr

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:44 »

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Colitt

Does anyone know of a company that prints actual thin aluminum placards, rather than mylar imitation "aluminum"?

There is a gentleman here creating replica body/chassis/vin plates for our cars. Perhaps he can help with the aluminium plate too?

His handle here is "CraigS". Here is a recent thread where this was discussed:
http://index.php?topic=8389

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Tom Colitt

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 22:32:36 »
Thanks. I have some of Craig's horn placards which are good, but he has them made in Germany and the cost there is certainly higher than here in the U.S. Another concern is that most of the decals I've seen for the emissions labels and other originally aluminum foil stickers use imitation plastic foil instead. I'd prefer to use the correct aluminum foil as I have spent much time recreating the original artwork precisely, not just having a printer set new type similar to the original...

Regards,

Bob G

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:19 »
Interesting post Tom. I was looking for some history of the Kangol company. I as you and many of our fellow Pagoda owners in this group  now the finishing touches are the engineering tags put back on a restored or well maintained original car.
Since 1999 I have spent endless hours and resources to recreate the original engineering tags for the Pagoda SL. I have seen other reproductions but, like you say they trend to be imitations rather than precise duplicates of the real tags. I use 0.5 mill aluminum for tags that were required. Yes they are expensive to reproduce, but in the long run the duribility and orginality down to the font and many other details count if you care about these cars or show them.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 13:28:42 »
Hello Tom,

I recently used a company called Benz Engraving (Coincidence?)in Encino at (818) 784-8842 to duplicate the brushed aluminium plates for the Frigiking AC in my car.  They specialize in engraved plates, door plates & placques.  They liked the challenge of reproducing the Frigiking items.  Easy to work with, very good quality, very good silk-screening, fair prices.  They may be able to help you.  Ask for Marcelle.  Let me know how it goes.
Regards,

Jackson

Download Attachment: IMG_0046.jpg
173.96 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0048.jpg
163.86 KB