Author Topic: Does rear of soft top have a catch to hold it up? 65'' 230  (Read 14440 times)

mtmilam

Does rear of soft top have a catch to hold it up? 65'' 230
« on: September 21, 2012, 15:31:43 »
I just got a 65 230 Sl this morning. Of course it has no owners manual.  When I went to raise top the rear right stayed in the storge compartment.

In my 71 280 Sl that I had years ago, there was a catch to keep the rear o the top folded while you raised it ( I think I remember that).  I can't see any holes in the frame where a catch would attach.  How does everyone get the top up without the back part staying in the well?? 
Thanks for any info
Mark

w113dude

Re: Does rear of soft top have a catch to hold it up? 65'' 230
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 17:04:57 »
I have never seen one without it!

mtmilam

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 19:16:22 »
Umm. In the tech section they talk about 3 different folding mechanisms. anyone have any pictures of what the latch looks like that holds the top vertical when you fold it back??  Should I see holes on the frame for it to attach. The frame and top look almost new and fit excellent along with the seals.   This is a 65' 230sl body with a 280 Sl engine

Mark

mtmilam

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:27:38 »
What I should say is when I'm folding the part of the top with the window in it...I'm folding that part Forward or Vertical, to get it ready to store....Is there a latch that holds the rear part of the folded top, together, so it doesn't drop open in the storage well for the top....

I'm also missing the Two BIG springs and one little spring on one side.....There is some springs a Auto zone that look about the right size, they maybe a little weaker, but i figure they would be better than no springs at all. What do yall think?? 
Mark

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 21:34:39 »
Hi, Mark -- and welcome,
You'll need better-informed responders than me when it gets into detailed analysis of the top (springs "missing"?: O dear) but I can tell you that the later tops -- and I think all of them -- have a spring-loaded over-centering effect which is pretty strong and pulls the rear section up against the main body almost forcefully when they get within a foot or less of each other.  This works well when the top is clear of its storage well, but to get it out of that well you have to reach below it all and be sure to raise it out as one package.  Otherwise there is trouble: the main soft top mounts (at the door pillars) actually slide back an inch or so during some phases of soft top deployment (full up, for certain) and you'll get this result if you allow the rear section to remain in the well as the main part is raised; it jams that rear section back against the well wall and the boot latch at upper rear center blocks any chance it can be raised.  I actually watched my PO damage his (mine now) nice newish top on that rough, nasty catch assembly in just that way; beware: it's not the time or place for main force!
If I understand your situation, your challenge now is to get the main top section back down in the well.  If you can do that, the main top mount/hinge points will return forward, and then lifting the whole top assembly up and out as one should be no problem.  However, I think maybe all three versions of our tops will resist returning from the position you're now in main section up and rear portion stuck in the well.  Something in all that mechanism locks up.  There are techniques for releasing it, posted here in times past and searchable (which can be a journey in itself).  Others know it far better than I and will likely chime in here.  Basically, if you can get it back down you're golden.  And maybe the missing springs will make it easier to do that in your case.
Later there will be that matter of the missing springs and whatever else.  Considerable complexity here.  There are experts in this area and you may yet need one.  Last/best resort for soft top parts, knowledgeable  advice and expert repairs is member and vendor Gernold Nisius, proprietor of SL Tech (listed on this site among our vendors) on the northeast coast.  But the raising and lowering are easy when you know how -- just keep it together  :D  going both up & down -- and so apparently is the release of the main top's refusal to go back down once it's been raised without the rest of it.  I know of no latching mechanism such as you've asked about; in mine and the few others I've had hands on it's handled by the springs.  One may feel the need to 'nurse' the bundle in its travels up and down, but there is at least a tendency for the two sections to remain together; it can be quite strong but, at least on my car, it seems to be at its weakest when the top is down in the well -- just when/where you need it most.  Originally, there was a ~ 2-3" square sticker in the well on the driver's side with illustrated instructions for raising and lowering the soft top.

Better luck,
Denny  
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

mtmilam

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 02:19:36 »
Thanks Denny,
After Searching last night a lot!!...I found a fix where a guy used a Webbing strap screwed to the bottom of his lower Bow and he grabs that strap to raise the top out of the storage well, thereby saving digging for it with his hands....Both of mine spring arms are broken so I can't attach the springs......The Top is Brand New and the soft top frame looks new also and Fits good....I just got the Car 2 days ago and have no desire to pull the top off to have these arms fixed and I hear its expensive and I hear they may break again.....so the Strap thing works pretty good......

It must have been on my 84 380 SL that I had those latches,  they must have taken the place of the springs...it worked real good on that top.  My next step is to add the Door Seals and a new Trunk Seal....any special place to buy those that yall recommend??

Thanks
Mark
65' 230SL w/280 SL engine and Automatic

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 00:40:30 »
My next step is to add the Door Seals and a new Trunk Seal....any special place to buy those that yall recommend??
How about the Classic Center?
Do some searches on this Forum. Some have had some difficulties with non-MB seals ... of course some have not had difficulties.
You might have the best chance for success from the Classic Center. It's just my opinion .. and it's free, so it might not be worth anything.  ;D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

ptooner

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 18:02:43 »
I just got a 65 230 Sl this morning. Of course it has no owners manual.  When I went to raise top the rear right stayed in the storge compartment.

In my 71 280 Sl that I had years ago, there was a catch to keep the rear o the top folded while you raised it ( I think I remember that).  I can't see any holes in the frame where a catch would attach.  How does everyone get the top up without the back part staying in the well?? 
Thanks for any info
Mark

HI Mark, I have a 65 the same color as yours.  There are two spring loaded plungers on the rear main bows, one on each side.  When you fold the top, you start by pushing the bottom of the top up to the vertical and a bit beyond.  The plungers will hold the rear of the top up against the bows.  Then you simply pull the forward section back and it will fold smoothly into the well.  To erect it, you simply pop the well top, lift the front of the top up and everything else follows.  Then you pull down the rear to release the plungers and snap it into the whole in the deck cover.  I have the hardtop on at the moment so I can't send a photo, but if any of this isn't clear I plan to take the hardtop off sometime this weekend anyway and I'll get photos.

Gerry

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 21:38:01 »
Mark the photo of the plungers mentioned can be seen here:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/1132329mb/8057439966/in/set-72157631685563310/lightbox/ if it works!, these plungers work well most of the time especially if you lean over the car and lift the top up out of the compartment from the centre of the car to avoid twisting the frame.

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:11 »
Quote from: mtmilam
.../......The Top is Brand New and the soft top frame looks new also and Fits good..../... again.....so the Strap thing works pretty good...
A useful tip to maintain the soft-top and also the rubber seals along the soft top compartment of your car is to use "flaps", vinyl sheet protectors, when folding or raising your soft top. Please see the Tech Manual of this web site, "soft top and hard top" section and description and pictures are under heading "Protecting the soft top material"
/Hans in Sweden

/Hans S