Author Topic: Windshield Washer  (Read 4817 times)

n/a

Windshield Washer
« on: November 14, 2003, 10:14:58 »
2 Questions:
1. Does the water bottle for the 1970 280sl windshield washer have a support bracket, or is it just wedged in between the brake booster, like mine was??

2. I finally hooked up the washer after restoration, all the hoses are new, and air passes though them. The motor makes some noise, but does not pump any water. Any ideas? Would taking the pump apart and cleaning have any beneficial effect?
Thanks

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Windshield Washer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 13:48:01 »
Yes, there is a bracket behind the brake servo unit.
Hope the pix is clear! Holds on to one eye of the washer fluid bag.
Download Attachment: 038.JPG
49.6 KB

Washer motor could be reverse wired?

naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 13:49:28 by naj »
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 16:39:56 »
Mine does not have a support bracket. I believe it is not present (never was) on many 280 SL's.

Naj - looks like you need a new firewall pad and air-filter-canister-to-intake-manifold hose!

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 19:02:31 »
I do have the bracket on my car, completely stock and almost worthless. It really doesn't do much, so if you don't have it, you're not missing anything!
How funny you should bring this up now...but I just got my original windsheild washer pump working yesterday. I took it all apart, cleaned everything and used WD40 and some lubricating oil and cleaned out all the lines. Just make sure you diagram everything as you take it apart. The fact that it is making noise is good! That probably means the motor itself is OK.
As you take the pump section apart from the motor, be careful, the little gears can fall right out. Make sure everything turns freely in the pump section. Clean everything thoroughly, but be careful not to disturb the gasket that seals it. Before you re-assemble, take just the motor section of the pump back to the car, plug it in and see if the little propeller inside spins. If so, good!
Now, put everything back together carefully. Do not overtighten the 4 bolts and nuts that hold everything together or you'll crack the 35 year old plastic. Now we have to work on the tubes. Make sure the tubes are clean and there are no leaks. It will take a few moments for the pump to "prime" itself. If you are using the clear plastic tubes, you'll see it. Activate the motor in short bursts, don't just keep it spinning.
Also, the little chrome squirter head on top of the cowl vent will probably be completely plugged up. You need to take this off and soak and clean it. (It is held to the underside of the cowl vent by a sliding clip)I soaked mine in WD 40 for a few minutes and used a needle and also a strand of electrical wire to clean the holes and passageway. This takes time and effort, but it will clean out. It will be clear for a moment and then plug up again. Thats OK...clean it again. Keep at it and you'll get it. Before you put it all back together, test it section by section. Its actually pretty easy. After you put it all back together, you can aim the direction of the jetstream to the windshield. Good Luck!

Steve W.
1968 280SL
www.stevewaddington.com/camaro

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 05:47:20 »
Naj,
what are your engine mounts like?
If they need replacing then your air hose, as Cees describes, will look bad.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 09:20:33 »
Cees, Bob,
That was the picture from the 230sl 1.2 million km. car shown at Speyer.
My 230 is RHD and the washer fluid bag is (properly) mounted on a two 'ear' bracket on the flitch (left chassis leg) like so (Sorry, no close up):

Download Attachment: DSCN0234.JPG
53.32 KB

A firewall insulation was also added later:

Download Attachment: DSCN0269.JPG
60.89 KB

naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 14:34:44 by naj »
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 09:43:20 »
SD,
The 1970 does not have a bracket for hanging the washer bag.
Check to mak sure that the hoses are properly connected. I replaced my pump and hooked the hoses to the wrong nipples on the pump and it did not work. Reversed them and all is well.

Regards,
Stan

n/a

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 11:31:36 »
SD,
So...how goes it? Were you able to fix it?
I was told that the newer replacement pump/motor looked different than the original. Thats why I elected to fix mine instead of replacing it. That, and the challenge of just seeing whether or not I could do it!
Let us know... :)

Steve W.
1968 280SL
www.stevewaddington.com/camaro