Author Topic: Bumperett Observation  (Read 3733 times)

n/a

Bumperett Observation
« on: September 26, 2003, 14:09:17 »
I've noticed on quite a few 113's that the front and rear bumperetts are cocked/tilted back... sometimes one, sometime both, sometime unevenly.

Can only assume this is from impact of some kind. I've stood and bounced on mine (ashamed to say), and they appear pretty stout, so it must have been a pretty good wallop to cock them back.

Is this a particularly weak point in the design and use of materials? Why always tipped back at the top and not at the bottom? Is correction simply the proper use of a mallet on the bracket or is it more complicated?

Nervious Newbie `68 280sl

jeffc280sl

Re: Bumperett Observation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 14:54:13 »
My bumpers have shims between the bumper bracket and car.  These shims help angle the bumper for the proper look.

Jeff
1970 280SL

Bob G

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 16:07:04 »
Brain:
Funny you should mention this. I also noticed this on my car the front one bumperett is a little tilted up. I beleive there are two bolts holding these on the bumper perhaps looseing them you can adjust the canter of the guards but you would need to remove the bumper and put it on a saw horse and eye each ajustment till it appears perfect. It's no wonder alot of SL enthusiast prefer the European bumpers.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 16:09:17 by Bob G »

n/a

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 17:22:37 »
Hey Bob, perhaps you can answer this. After getting tired of looking at my slightly crooked bumperettes, I took them off today. A MUCH cleaner, sleeker look!!! I remember reading a post somewhere here about someone (Cees?) doing it and using "antenna caps" (some type of plastic chrome plug ?) to cover the holes. Well, I had just put a new bumper on the back of my Camaro, and I had a few new bumper bolts left over. Works just fine. But here's the problem...I can see the marks where the bumperettes were. No rust, just virgin chrome under the bumperetttes, and a fine line that traces the outline. How can I polish these out? Other than that it looks awesome! I'll take some pics later.
Thanks

Steve W.
1968 280SL
www.stevewaddington.com/camaro