Author Topic: DB050 White & Carpet types !  (Read 6527 times)

Ben

DB050 White & Carpet types !
« on: September 24, 2003, 02:30:22 »
I need to know what DB050 really looks like. My car was painted about 12 years ago and I plan to do the body early next year. I believe its current colour is not correct, a little too light, and I wondered if anyone had a good picture of what it should look like ?

Also I have a car fitted with a green carpet set. I know its not the original one but it replaced an original green item. I need to replace only the drivers side mat so I'll give some local places some samples to see how it turns out. However any of the other 230SL's I've seen have had replacement carpets and I may go down this route but if I do I will get the correct carpet........but what does it look like ?

I've read about the different loop/pile but I cant visualise it !

Also, I dont have a data card, but would the plate in the engine bay give me the code for the original carpet, or just exterior colour/s and interior seat trim ?

Any advice would be appreciated !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: DB050 White & Carpet types !
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 08:42:36 »
Ben,
The best way is to find someone with original dealership paint chip samples.

You say you need to "replace only the drivers side mat".  Do you mean the floor mat?  This is actually just a rubber floor mat, there is no carpet under it.  Regardless, correct 230SL carpet is a square weave wool carpet.  I can send you high res. pics of mine, if you like.  I believe it is 37 year old original carpet.

Engine bay data plate only shows paint code.  You need to get your data card for interior information.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 10:12:07 »
Thanks Rodd for the Paint Chip suggestions, I think I know just the man !

The floor mat, what I actually meant was the carpet for the drivers area, i.e not rubber but actual carpet.

If you could send me the photo that would be great as "square weave wool" doesn't mean anything to me !  ;)

thanks again !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 10:25:34 »
Ben,

Rodd is absolutely correct. A 230 SL didn't come with carpeting in the floor areas of the driver and passenger sides. There's a dark grey  rubber floor mat on either side with a mult-piece wool carpet over the tunnel between the two sides.  Go to GAHH.com to examine what a square weave wool carpet looks like.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 11:01:10 »
quote:
There's a dark grey rubber floor mat on either side ....
I have been told that the original mats were color coded to the interior.  For example, mine are a shade of brown similar to my brown carpet.  The floor mat color should match the rubber strip along the bottom of the door opening (next to your seat).  Gray may be the only color theses items are available in now.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 11:14:50 »
Absolutely right again, Rodd. I just checked and they were available in anthracite gray, blue and brown.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 17:55:42 »
quote:
Hi Rodd,
Thanks a lot for your time and effort getting those picture to me! I can now confirm that the replacement carpet in my car is NOT to the original spec. Now I know what to look for!

Thanks again,
Ben

No problem Ben, I'm glad I can help.  I really like the old square weave wool carpet and I feel that your car will be so much nicer with it installed.  You should get your data card and find out your original color combinations, and more.  Did you note the materials under the rubber floor mats?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 18:54:09 by rwmastel »
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 01:56:05 »
Well the problem arose because the car was leaking water quite badly into the front area, in fact it leaked from the rear and drained to the front !

Anyway when I found it all the carpets and sound deadening and basically everything in the footwell were all totally rotten and smelling. I junked everything and I've been driving around all summer with nothing but a basic rubber mat !

As the wet season is on its way I will be ensuring there is no leak before I install anything !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Ben

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 03:18:01 »
Okay so I got my data card and thanks to this site and the search feature I managed to decode most of it, and they all make sense and appear correct.

It turns out I should've had a black carpet all along, so now I have one ordered !

However there are some codes I cant find !!

Code 68 1
In the Box marked "Wenig Gew..something" there are the following codes,
720 Which is Black Folding Soft Top
323 = ?
328 = ?

I have seen some references to 324 and 325 in these positions meaning 1kg of extra Laquer and 2kg of extra Laquer respectively. There were question marks after these suggestions implying that this is not absolute !

Anyway I was wondering could it have anything to do with the wheel well Underseal which is a subject of great debate as some believe cars HAD it and some didn't. I reckon it might be down to the Country of origin and since mine was sent to the UK it seems likely it wouldv'e had underseal if avaialable from the factory !

Can anyone offer any help on those codes I'm stuck for , 681,323 and 328 ?

Also says date of first registration is 12/02/64 which means I've a 40th Birthday coming up and it also confirms this sites database ! :)

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 07:50:30 »
Ben, I can't help with those codes, but I can tell you that there is no debate as to undercoating. They all had it. There were 24 lbs of undercoating on every Pagoda. The debate is about color. It appears some undercarriages were left black, while others (most, I believe) were painted over in body color.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 08:29:20 »
Well maybe those numbers relate to the colour of the undersealer ?
Could it have been bodycolour in the wheel well area and black/grey underneath ?

The #681 relates to the "Tyre pressure instructions in Foreign language" so I found out !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor