Author Topic: Service and repair: MB dealer or independent  (Read 3138 times)

n/a

Service and repair: MB dealer or independent
« on: March 04, 2004, 14:53:04 »
Hello everybody,

Before anything else, I have to say it's great to have such a great group of people out there helping out those of us who are just starting to enjoy these beautiful cars.

I need to find a place to service my car in the Miami area and would like to hear some advice. My first attempt was to ask the Classic Center at Mbusa.com (http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/heritage/expert.jsp&menu=6)
They referred me to the local dealer, Bill Ussery. After calling them, the service manager said he didn't have any qualified technician to service the car (!?)
So, now I'm looking for an independent shop and have 2 questions:

1) Is servicing the car at a non-official dealer a bad idea in the long term? I mean, most people like to keep the service records for the car, as a way to prove the car's history. If you ever want to sell the car, would the buyer think you maintained the car poorly if it wasn't serviced at an authorized MB dealer?

2) Can anyone recommend a repair shop in the Miami / Miami Beach / Coral Gables area? (or how can I find a good one?)

Thanks,

Gabriel
Miami Beach, FL

n/a

Re: Service and repair: MB dealer or independent
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 15:44:43 »
Find some MB Club members in your area and see who they recommend. If you're not a member, you can join at www.mbca.org . Great group. I've been around the club since 1973

tom in ca

n/a

Re: Service and repair: MB dealer or independent
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 15:49:09 »
P.S. Be aware of the fact that most FL MB dealers get about 40-50% over suggested retail for their parts !! Independent repair facilities might tend to be a bit more generous, especially if they have any Club affiliation. Good luck in your search.

tom in CA