Author Topic: Re: rewiring a Becker Europa  (Read 25039 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Re: rewiring a Becker Europa
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 13:27:07 »
Or would that be cheating?... :twisted:

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 18:33:15 »
Hello guys,
I just moved a string up from last summer on the subject. It has a lot of information and photos.

Yes the early and late knobs are interchangable. In addition some later Becker radios will fit in early dashes. Faceplates, knobs, escutcheon plates, and identification bars can be swithced to disguise the later radio so it looks like an early unit. All these parts are available new from Becker! The radios became smaller as time went on. The two part radios (separate amplifier) became one part. Then came the two part stereo which later became one part. Finally the Becker Europa II stereo became one part and smaller than any of the others.  

Hope this helps.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2004, 22:43:11 »
Thanks Joe. Very informative. I will move over there with next question...

By the way, center piece for 230SL is available from SL Tech and Ray at SL Classics can get them as well. I am still weighing my options.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TA250SL

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 00:19:34 »
I rebuilt an early Becker Grand Prix to fit the smaller opening of the replacement radio panelin my early 250SL.  I love the looks, but if I can fit a newer Europa stereo version into the opening as Joe suggested, I could play my iPod MP3 player through it's rear DIN connector.  Does anyone have a Europa Stereo radio available?  I already found a set of original kick panel speaker enclosures.  

Tom

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 13:16:58 »
Hi folks, just an update for the curious.  Thanks to all your helpful suggestions, my Becker is rewired, installed and working great.
     In addition to your help I called Ed Ebel at Becker Radios in N.J.  He confirmed that although the rear bracket acts as the ground to the firewall, he recommends attaching a wire to the center screw and grounding to the chassis.  Also confirmed the two plastic connectors with set screws are for the trigger wire for the power antenna.
     The last obstacle to overcome was adapting connectors for the speaker output.  It was a feeling of relief when I attached the battery and turned the knob - the antenna raised, the dial lit and music filled the interior.  I finished assembling the dash and took it for a spin.  Couldn't have finished the job without your input.
Thanks,
-jakl