Author Topic: underhood detailing  (Read 3328 times)

ptooner

underhood detailing
« on: August 25, 2013, 23:49:41 »
I am considering ways to improve my underhood appearance without going over the top.  I am planning to replace the firewall pad which is starting to look a bit worn.  I am considering polishing the injection pipes with 000 steel wool and other similar parts like the linkages and then try a clear polyurethane spray.  The painted areas are holding up okay and I can always liven up the hoses with a bit of silicone spray I think.  I'm not planning on Pebble Beach or even the Concours at Amelia Island but I'd like to have it look a bit better at smaller shows and I'm considering a bigger carshow Sept 15th sponsored by Brumos Porsche.  Most shows I'm the only Mercedes, but this one I would expect there to be a few.  Anyway, thoughts and suggestions solicited.  I usually try to drive it to at least one cruise in every week so extremes don't make sense.   For reference, my paint is of the 10 foot variety so I'm not talking about a trailer queen.

Gerry

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: underhood detailing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:06:00 »
Don't use 000 steel wool.  0000 is the minimum or you will get scratches.  Throw out all of you 000 now so you won't be tempted to just try to clean this or that....

If hoses are ugly how about replacing them with new - there has to be something better than silicone - I would recommend against using any silicone product because it gets airborne and really messes with surfaces that you may want to paint at a later date.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:37 »
One of the things I did on my 280SL engine bay over a period was remove one item at a time and repair if needed, repaint, add labels as needed and return with new hoses, bolts, screws or clamps as appropriate. Does not get it all done quickly but it slowly works through the engine bay and eventually gets it looking very presentable.  That way you tend to work on one item, and by pre purchasing expected parts, the car is not off the road for long periods and you still get to enjoy it as it is slowly restored.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

ptooner

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 13:36:56 »
One of the things I did on my 280SL engine bay over a period was remove one item at a time and repair if needed, repaint, add labels as needed and return with new hoses, bolts, screws or clamps as appropriate. Does not get it all done quickly but it slowly works through the engine bay and eventually gets it looking very presentable.  That way you tend to work on one item, and by pre purchasing expected parts, the car is not off the road for long periods and you still get to enjoy it as it is slowly restored.

I like that concept a lot.  In fact, when I rebuilt the WRD I sanded it and painted it with a "hammered metal" spray I had on hand just for giggles and it worked great.  I will continue in that vein and about the steel wool, I just hit the 0 one time too few.  I meant 0000 steel wool.

Gerry

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 15:27:31 »
I would use 0000 (4) BRONZE wool, not steel.  No particles left anywhere that will rust; won't scratch chrome, etc. A little harder to find but not too; fine furniture restoration, gunsmiths, etc. all use it.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid