Author Topic: CLASSIC RALLYING  (Read 9565 times)

UrbanMyth

CLASSIC RALLYING
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:34:03 »
Good morning from afar,

Sat idly yesterday and started researching classic rallying but it's either me or there isn't a whole lot of information out there...

Are there any guru's out there with a knowledge base on the subject?  I'm after anything I can get on correct ancillaries, spots, rally timers (Heuer?),  body modifications etc etc.  Anything and everything would be useful.

Would appreciate any feedback from the Members if you have a spare moment.

Best regards to all,

Terry

p.s. the car is the rare 5 speed manual (1966) so I've got a starting point.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: CLASSIC RALLYING
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:33:02 »
I think this is one of the many organisations to contact if you want to do serious Classic Rallying:

http://www.classicrally.org.uk/

naj
68 280SL

UrbanMyth

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 14:43:22 »
Saw that one - thanks Naj. 

What I could really do with is advice on period items for the car.  I'l keep looking..

Regards,

Terry

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 18:52:35 »
I do classic rallying with my car.... have a look at this article on my private website, albeit a little old, on what I did to my car:

http://bali.esweb.nl/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=67

In the mean time I've changed my driving lamps, see this post.

Key, in my mind, is:
  • a Pagoda is great for long-distance endurance events. It's comfortably, you and it will last the week and you have room
  • it's less suitable for quick, short distance, right-hook, left hook, gravel road rallying. It's too heavy and power to weight ratio is not as good as e.g. an Alfa Romeo, Lancia Fulvia or an early 911
  • Make sure the engine and suspension, and especially brakes are in excellent condition
  • Fit new wintertyres for grip
  • Depending on whether you need FIVA certificates you'll need to keep modifications original
  • A 1-2-3 ignition/distributor will serve you well and is very reliable (see this thread)
  • Fit a fire extinguisher
  • Fit extra cigarette socket outlets for your Don Barrow magnifying glass or spare reading lights
  • Fit a Hella map reading light on a long swan neck
  • Get a GTI Rally Twin odo-meter, much easier to adjust than a Halda

That should get you started... check my posts for rallying photographs.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 00:28:44 »
Hello Terry,

I too have rallied vintage Mercedes for years.

You may want to start out with some local TSD Rallies and work you way up to Performance rallies.  There should be local clubs in your area for these kind of events. The SCCA no longer has big time performance rally events (Pro Rally Series years ago) however they have an active Rallycross and TSD Rally Program even today.

"Classic Motorsports" magazine and "Grassroots Motorsports" magazines cover some rally events these days. Sadly The Speedchannel on Cable TV has very little coverage of rally events.

There are many levels of rallying. Some are extreme, some are a bit more than a brisk drive. You can choose the level of involvement which suits you and your wallet. It definitely will add another level of enjoyment to your auto hobby.

Performance Rallying is described as "the extreme" of auto racing. Real cars, real roads and real fast!

When I first started performance rallying in the late 70's, you just needed $40.00 entry, a crash helmet and a simple single loop roll bar. This got you into a full night of all out racing on 400 miles of closed gravel forest roads. The SCCA sanctioned these events as part of their Pro Rally Series.  They were serious events and were very hard on vehicles and crews.

Those days are gone. Today, if you plan on doing performance rallying you will need some training, experience, a lot of safety equipment and a bit of cash. Start out with some non-performance vintage rallies to get started. 

Search up "Targa Newfoundland" and "La Carrera Panamericana Rally" for North America's best known performance vintage rallies.  In addition there are many less competition oriented vintage rallies held around the US every year.

Good luck and Happy Motoring!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

UrbanMyth

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 18:21:45 »
Gents,

Apologies for the delay in replying but can I just say many thanks indeed for all the info - really has helped me out.  I'm not going for the full on, hell for leather, approach but I am certainly going to use the car and I'm pretty certain it will get dirty now and again...

Now reworking the budget and trying to disguise it from GOC Home Command as interior redocoration...!

Take care all and happy motoring,

Terry

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 12:17:18 »
68 280SL

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 14:25:01 »

Not a rally, more like a race. Its a new event on 26. of june in my town aiming to be like Goodwood...
Beautifull track runs by the sea and in front of the queens castle...

Have a look:

http://craa.dk/en/Welcomepage/tabid/121/Default.aspx

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 22:49:39 »
I've just signed up for this year's Tulpen rallye again...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 00:33:20 »
Sounds like fun Peter,

Keep us posted!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)