Author Topic: hardtops with chrome and without  (Read 5984 times)

pinchechris

hardtops with chrome and without
« on: April 30, 2008, 21:15:02 »
I have a '71 pagoda with 2 chrome strips that run the length of the top.  It's pretty thrashed so I'm looking at a top in the local classified, same color, same year, only it doesn't have the chrome strips.  Most pictures of hardtops that I see have the chrome strips but there are a few without.  Was it an option when they were sold?  If the top is lacking the chrome does that mean someone removed it and painted over?  

Thanks

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: hardtops with chrome and without
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 21:32:54 »
The hardtops came with and without the chrome strips. The strips were an MB option for allowing the attachment of further optional roof accessories (like the roof ski rack).

Personally, I love the look of the chrome strips.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

pinchechris

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 22:43:24 »
many thanks.  Does the Chrome add value to the top/car?  Also, any idea as to what I might expect to get if I were to sell the top I currently have?  The paint and glass are ok, everything else is pretty spent (it sat outside for 6 years prior to me owning it).   The one I am looking at is in good shape, comes with rack and cover for $1k.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

Chris

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:27:51 »
Keep in mind there was also a rear-window defogger option (rear glass has a wire filaments, and hardtop has dangling wire which needs to be connected whenever hardtop is on). If your old hardtop has this option, keep it!  This option is hard to find in my experience. If one of the tops you're looking at has this, then get it.

In any case, I read somewhere that stripping a hardtop for re-paint is very time-consuming (= costly), so count on this.  Or do what the previous owner of my red pagoda did: the only  replacement hardtop he could find was black and so he decided to make his car two-tone! (painted hubcaps was all that was needed).

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas