Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Original 280SL Owners Manual available
« Last post by mdsalemi on Today at 13:03:44 »
PLEASE any moderators--do NOT remove this post. Do not move it to "For Sale" either. Just please let it stand. Someone will take Richard up on the deal before long, and then it will be history. No need for any action here.
Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes / 123 reliability
« Last post by merrill on Today at 12:46:27 »

Hello
before ordering and installing a 123 on my car i read a lot of posts on this forum.   
One thing that stood out was some were going to keep their old unit in the car in case the 123 failed.
Out of curiosity i emailed 123 and asked about reliability of the unit.
below is the response

"The chances of the 123ignition breaking down are very small.

We sell over 20,000 ignition systems a year.

We get 100/150 back every year that need to be tested.
In the vast majority of cases it turns out that the 123ingition is not defective but something else is going on.

Very often the 123ignition is seen as the cause of a problem, which I can understand.
But there appears to be something else going on. There are many factors that affect the operation of a fuel engine.

If we do encounter / discover something that needs our attention we try to solve it immediately.
We do our production ourselves, so we can take action quickly and solve things."

hope this information is helpful

General Discussion / Original 280SL Owners Manual available
« Last post by Richard Madison on Today at 12:23:05 »
Hi:

I have an original 280SL Owners Manual that i'd like to pass on.

I no longer own a car and think that someone else can make better use of the manual.

I was going to post it on For Sale but an item with no price is removed...so here it is here.

Who is this guy? you ask...well I was an original founder of this group and designed the first website.
Haven't been active in a while but Peter Van Es  sent me a msg that got me active again at least to give away the Manual.

I don't follow this Group so if you want to have the manual, please send an email to rmadison@panix.com

The manual is located in NYC but can be mailed if necessary.

Thanks,

Richard 

Finalement j'ai trouvé la solution déjà mentionnée sur le forum. J'ai désaccouplé la transmission pour resserrer l'écrou à 4 encoches qui maintient le mécanisme d'entrainement du câble
General Discussion / Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by zoegrlh on Today at 11:54:09 »
Check out David Kindig, has a custom garage in Saltlake City, Utah, has a TV program on Motor Trend channel. He did a kit car 300 SL Gullwing for a man that wanted a Gullwing, but could not afford the price of an original, so bough a kit then had David make modifications to make it look original including interior, and it had a updated V8 engine. This car was also shown at SEMA. Might touch base with him.
I have been looking forward to Frank’s solution for a while…as Frank has been as well!

Many cars of the same era, including American cars had aftermarket air conditioning. It was always a marginal, dicey kind of thing. I believe at least in the case of American cars, it was so ugly because it was a reminder of how cheap you were not to get it from the factory at the start. Just like when you were too cheap to not order a clock with the car, they just left a clock face without numbers in your dashboard. Of course, the Pagoda never came from the factory with air conditioning, but with so many of my trips in the Pagoda being very long highway trips in the hot weather of summer, air conditioning would be a welcome addition.

PS: I was guilty as well of being too cheap. I didn’t get it on my new 1979 BMW, because it pushed the car into unaffordability. I regretted not trying to figure out a way to afford it at the start. While the car was mostly comfortable to drive, in the heat of summer, it was not.
Congratulations... I must say I was tempted myself...
Research & Development / Re: Easy fix for a minor irritation
« Last post by Benz Dr. on Today at 07:03:05 »
Stick, please post a photo next time you have a rod in your hand.

No one needs to see that. ;)
I might be looking for a good core as well; I'm in Canada though. So in line...if it's still available...
Thanks, that's what I've done, even so far as to get a vacuum manometer on them, here's what's funny; - if I blank off one of the carbs, the RPM picks up to 1500 or so. It will not run at all with the mixture screw turned in to 2 turns and the throttle plates level; - it will only run when on the power circuit.

Even with the valve lash set properly, there's a lot of spitting out the back end, and it sounds like multiple cylinders. And it will spit back out the rear carb at 1000 rpm every minute or so as the fuel builds up.

A little background; the car ran well enough when I got it, and so I put some new plugs in it, did an oil change, overhauled the carbs to try and take care of a hesitation issue, and then scoped it. Compression at that time was 10 lbs more across the board, vacuum at idle was low, about 12. Then it ran beautifully, and I thought I got the problem solved. Well, it didn't take 2 hours, and then it wouldn't accelerate, it would backfire out the exhaust violently and spit back through the carbs under load, and then it refused to idle. And that's where it's still at. I should note that the carbs had been overhauled (by me) 3 weeks before this occurred, so it wasn't the carbs going out of whack.

So here's what I'm thinking; - the cam is wiped, the duration is a lot longer than permissible and the valves aren't opening up enough, - so at low speeds, the engine doesn't seal up enough for good compression and dies off. Excess fuel either sits in the intake as a result of next to no vacuum, and the miss I hear out the back is because the exhaust valves stay open too long don't open enough either.

Does anyone have any other possible explanation for this, yes, I agree, it sounds like it should be simple enough, and I do keep getting this feeling I'm overlooking something really simple, but I've done all the preliminary "start with a dead engine" stuff. It's not that, I have plenty of spark, I have plenty of gas, both pump and return circuit are up to par, I've checked for vacuum leaks on the manifolds, carbs and bases, and the power brake booster, and that turns up fine. The carbs themselves are good clean Zeniths from the same engine, numbers and jetting match for the 250, and the throttle plates are in good shape and not loose. Needle and seats are checked and don't leak, accelerator pumps are new and put out a full shot, the fine passages are all clean (mechanically cleaned as well as chemically) and they were perfectly set to match when I put them on.

Spark is also good and strong; - it's an electronic ignition, can't remember off hand which company it came from, it was a Dutch outfit and the distributor curve  is properly set up for this engine.

So yes, it appears I'm over thinking this thing, because it was basically running acceptably one minute and then like a toilet the next, but everything I've recently read about camshaft failure is pointing to this, the misses in the exhaust, poor idle, low vacuum, and the physical damage of the lobes actually being close to a full millimetre shorter and flatter looking than the other 2 cams I have as spares.

I guess if swapping the cam out doesn't work, then the whole thing is coming apart anyway, I don't know what else to do here. I just really didn't want to have to do that now. I know that engine is on borrowed time, it was when it ran.

And since I've never swapped a cam in a Mercedes before, I was wondering what precautions, or what tricks I have to do to swap it out without destroying anything else. If this was an American car it'd be a lot more forgiving with ham-fisted mechanics than this thing seems to be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10