Author Topic: Rare light part  (Read 3873 times)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Rare light part
« on: January 25, 2010, 23:55:48 »
We have all been typing about the various bits and such that are tough to find for the Pagoda. I was just wondering about another potentially rare item. Are there any new cars on the road today that use the round sealed beam headlights? Do we need to go out and stock pile some of these from the local NAPA or Sears auto parts store??
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Rick

• Regular
  • USA, NV, Gardnerville
Re: Rare light part
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:04 »
So far--  that is a part which looks like it will remain available for some time to come. Too many cars used them for too many years for them to become extinct

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 14:00:31 »
Don't bother with the sealed beam, just get a set of H4 headlights with replaceable bulbs. It is the best upgrade you could possibly get for your car in my opinion. A set of Bosch h4's cost about $100.00 with bulbs and just go right in in place of those antiquated pieces of US DOT approved death beam crap bulbs. You can actually see in front of you and off to the sides where, in Upstate NY the real car destroyers live, the White Tail Deer. I put in 100/55 watt bulbs, complete insanity, but lots of light. I very rarely get "flashed" with those great designed "Z" beam H4's and man are they bright. My stock wiring and relays have worked great for many years with these bulbs. I would guess that a heavier wire system with new relays would even be brighter, the stock ones work great. Here is some info with a link to some great deals I just found doing a quick search  http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html  . Check them out, and chuck out those dim wit regular seal beams.

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:52:49 »
I end up buying a lot of these H4 lights because I like how they look on some of the European cars that I sell, including of course the 113.  I had been buying Hellas from Amazon (about $72 including shipping) but followed the link graphic66 included and found myself on this site: 

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

They sell the Bosch versions, and after buying bulbs and shipping it came to $61 for the pair, a pretty good deal.   :D
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 19:01:05 »
I would hope that most of you discussing these lights have taken a trip to a well stocked auto supply house, like Pep Boys, etc.  You'll see that the sealed beam's of yesterday are almost history.  Most sealed beams are halogen, bright white.  There are a variety available--and all at a fraction of the cost of refitting H4 assemblies.  Every time you might have to change the lamp, you get a new reflector.  Last time I checked they were about $15 each; some high performance ones maybe $20?  That's a lot less than an H4 kit.

Just food for thought before you go and invest in something...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 20:12:16 »
For me it's the flat face of the H4 units, the lens pattern and beam dynamics that are worth the extra cost.  They also just have a better look than your run of the mill halogen replacements.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.