Author Topic: Relay decals, and how do I get the voltage regulator apart???  (Read 3510 times)

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
Does anybody know of a source for these decals on the relays? I want to repaint these black but first need to make sure I can replicate the printing. I have found a couple of places that will custom make rub on transfers or water slide decals but to do that I need artwork. I guess if someone has a high resolution picture of a perfect relay that could probably be converted to whatever they need.

I have seen some relays that have a print of the circuit diagram on the top, I can't see any trace of mine ever having had that, did they all have this or were some plain?

I would also like to get the casing for the voltage regulator plated but I can't figure out how the casing comes apart, any ideas? I don't just want to have at it and cause problems. I have a 55 amp alternator but I'm not sure if I am going to go that route now. I suppose if I did I could convert it to an internal regulator, in which case could this just get dipped as is?

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Relay decals, and how do I get the voltage regulator apart???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:35:06 »
Not sure if exactly the same as you are showing, but typical Pagoda relay decalls for self printing are on this website. I think you would need to be a Full Member to access them. You can also find decalls on the internet, but membership is just much better ROI as you will find a lot of other information on our cars tuning and repair there. This is my experience - lots of money saved in the end.

If you have a standard regulator, you just pry off the casing. Then apply back the yellow tape - it covers joining area.

Maybe, however, it is a good idea to replace it - the regulators are available and the old one will break down sooner or later. Case is the same dimensions, just a bit shorter, you can plate and use the old case (check via search on forum) if you want exactly the perfect look in engine bay.

On 55Amps alternator - you may search through the forum. There are various solutions and opinions there on it. Some members use the same regulators, some internal. There are various replacements, connections etc. If you have a 55A one already and it is working with standard regulator (this is what I have) - why mess around with it?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:41:57 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:58 »
Quote from: Scottcorvette
.../...I would also like to get the casing for the voltage regulator plated but I can't figure out how the casing comes apart.../...
Fairly simple, remove the tape and you see the dividing in the metal. Pry the casing off.
Like Pawel suggests, I always replace the regulator relay with an electronic unit, I then put the casing on it to maintain the look.
The electronic unit is reliable and also offers a more efficient charging of your battery
/Hans S

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:36 »
I didn't want to go too hard at the casing. It seems pretty well on there. I'll have another go.

I have found a guy that will make rub on transfers for the relay decals. I had a look at the engineering tags in the technical section and they are different to the ones I have. I will get him to make a sheet of them so I will have spares if anyone wants any.

If anybody has these relays with the printing in very nice condition I could do with a clear photograph so he can copy the writing. He is going to draw the BOSCH but try and find the closest font he can for the other writing. If anyone can help id be grateful.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:34:24 »
I used to sell the decal transfers for the 4 and 5 post Bosch relays. However, I never made the ones for the early black relays which require white lettering. The only ones available are for the silver (Zinc/CAD plated) tins and will have the black lettering. So you can either plate your existing relay tins clear zinc/CAD or paint silver and then apply both the top and side lettering. The relay dry transfers are available from Buds Benz. Authentic sells a water slide version. The dry transfers are a better reproduction of the original versus the water slides in my opinion. But the water slides are less expensive.

You can also get the replacement rubber grommets from either Bud's or Authentic Classics.

I have a 1960 220SE coupe and they have the same Black painted relays and yes, they have the schematic on top. I would assume yours also had these. As far as removing the tin from the base, there are (6) crimps that you have to bend back to remove the tin so it can be plated. If you do not want to remove the tin, you can paint it silver and use the transfers. I hope this helps.

Wallace   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6