Author Topic: Wiper arm spline size  (Read 4691 times)

frankenbenz

Wiper arm spline size
« on: April 26, 2013, 18:37:48 »
Does anyone off hand know the spline size for the wiper arms?

Thanks!

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Wiper arm spline size
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 16:01:25 »
The splined section on the wiper shaft tapers down from 10mm to 7mm diameter over a length of about 6mm. The spline itself is very fine and shallow.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 16:09:42 »
I see you were asking about the wiper arms not the wiper shaft, but I guess the internal spline on the arms must be just a female version of the male splined section on the shaft.

Yours is the heavily modified car right? Is it driving yet?
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 19:54:28 »
Dont think a fresh new wiper arm has splines at all .

frankenbenz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 14:18:54 »
Thanks guys! I pretty much have all the parts I need now.

One side bar question .. the hood spring. I have read all sorts of horror stories about this thing and about it unwinding but there is absolutely no solid information I have been able to find about the winding process. Detailed instructions for this and/or a video would sure be helpful. I'd do them up or post a youtube video if I knew how to wind this damn spring!

And DaveB ... yes ... mine is the heavily modded 230. It should be going on its inaugural drive today, weather permitting, and over to it's first car show tomorrow in Orlando at the Festival of Speed - again, weather permitting. There are still a few things to finish up on the car, but for the most part it is ready to rock. I'll be posting pictures once complete. There are a few custom trim pieces I need ... such as A-pillar trim modifications from where we changed the dash and some covers for the winders from where we deleted the window cranks and installed electric windows. The push-button ignition has proven troublesome but should be fixable. Windows are REALLY tight and pretty slow to rise but given what has been done to this car I'll take it.

Today it is the hunt for a suitable steering wheel. The steering column needs to be removed and painted as it really is out of sorts with the rest of the car. Seatbelts  (retractable) are proving problematic but should be solved in about a week.

Looking forward to finally getting this thing out of the shop. 20 years later.

There will still be some things we will be doing to it such as building an engine cover and installing an electric E-brake as well as some modified interior stuff .. the kick plates are annoying and the stereo has some issues. That said, it has pretty much turned out to be the car that we all wanted it to be.

Thanks!