Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement experience  (Read 826 times)

K-Jet

• Regular
  • USA, KY, Radcliff
Fuel tank replacement experience
« on: December 09, 2023, 00:48:37 »
Good evening,

Due to a recent shipping... mishap... I will be replacing the fuel tank in my 1971 280SE. I'd love to hear all the things I should know before I have to learn them myself the hard way. Some questions to start, but all advice and experience welcome.

1. Are the replacement tanks from Dansk of acceptable quality?

2. I have heard murmurings of needing to flush the tank before installation. What does this look like?

3. I see the "black boxes" glued to the top side of the tank. I assume they are weather fast and are intended to reduce panel resonance. New tanks don't have them. Should I a) not worry about it or b) use ___ (fill in the blank) as a replacement?

Many thanks,

D
Dru
_____
1971 280SE "Beverly"
1990 250D 5-speed "Opa"
1995 E220T Sportline "Sport Kombi"
1980 911SC Targa "Petrol"

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Fuel tank replacement experience
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 01:10:40 »
1. JP Dansk are excellent, have used them many times. Zero issues.

2. Have never had to flush a new tank out of the box.

3. Remove the black boxes from your old tank and glue them to your new tank, thats what I do when they are in reusable condition. Or you can call the dealer and see if they have new available.
1969 280SL

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 08:29:12 »
How did that happen???!!!
1970 280 SL

K-Jet

• Regular
  • USA, KY, Radcliff
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 13:39:02 »
1. JP Dansk are excellent, have used them many times. Zero issues.

2. Have never had to flush a new tank out of the box.

3. Remove the black boxes from your old tank and glue them to your new tank, thats what I do when they are in reusable condition. Or you can call the dealer and see if they have new available.

Thanks. I heard the "flush the tank" advice on the Pelican 911 forum. Plus there's a little piece of paper in the Dansk box the tank came in saying to do so.

What adhesive do you use for the black boxes? Do they just snap off, or do they require a special removal technique?

How did that happen???!!!

That's a great question! Sideways forklift tine? The shipper is "investigating" now. The ocean journey was container shipping, to and from the port was not. The car was running when it left me on the other side, but somewhere along the process they decided it didn't start, so probably using something motorized to push the car.
Dru
_____
1971 280SE "Beverly"
1990 250D 5-speed "Opa"
1995 E220T Sportline "Sport Kombi"
1980 911SC Targa "Petrol"

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 17:11:42 »
Isn't the shipping company paying for the repair?  I would just get the MB tank, the Dansk tank does not have the swirl pot.  I purchased the MB tank last year and it came with the damper pads already attached.
Lori
1968 280SL (US)