Author Topic: Soft top " drumming "  (Read 5002 times)

Witt

Soft top " drumming "
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:36 »
Something that has been bothering me for some time is that with the ST up the non supported front bow, just under the sunvisers, is vibrating very annoyingly.
Is that  the case with all Pagodas ?

I have come up with a nifty way to support both ends of that bow to the main frame. Works really great, all I have to do now is to come up with a convenient way to undo those brackets when folding the ST away..........

Will keep you posted.

CHEERS !
WITT !

Witt

Re: Soft top " drumming "
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 22:35:58 »
.....OK, so the formally free standing bow is now secured to the side rails and does not vibrate any longer and fold away very nicely when lowering the ST, but.......the drumming has shifted rearward......the ST fabric between the two bows right over my head is vibrating so bad and loud, that it is impossible to drive faster than 60 miles........so I did not fix the problem it just moved further back. However there is no vibrating with the windows open !?

Another thought occurred to me: The very front of my new ST over the Windshield kicks up a bit and terminates in a round bead. I wished that the fabric would fold under the header in a smooth fashion.
 I had the same problem with my 911 Targa, it was very noisy at speed and after I had new fabric installed without the bead and being tucked under the front to give a smooth finish the noise stopped.

Am I the only one, or do others have a vibrating and drumming ST.
Please let me know if you have experienced the same problem.

CHEERS !
WITT !

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 23:28:26 »
Hey Witt. Sorry we left you hanging on this one. Mine does not "drum" or vibrate. Gahh top on an early 230SL frame. There was another thread about this sometime ago. Might find some useful help there.
James
63 230SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:56:47 »
Hi, Mine does drum a bit at the front. Put a new top on in the summer and the front has kicked up a bit like yours.
I will take the front apart again now it has stretched over the last months and pull it tighter. I will leave it
untill next summer to do.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Witt

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 02:35:10 »
Thank's guys, I also decided to deal with it next summer, it's Hard Top time any way !
But I am still interested in some feed back and maybe some expert advise from people installing ST for a living before I go back to my installer.

CHEERS!
WITT !

PS. I have put everything back to the way it was and the "drumming" is unbearable still.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:39 »
You got me thinking, so yesterday I took apart the front of my ST and re-glued it with the front edge folded down
much more rather than kicking up. When it stops raining I will go for a drive and report back.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:30:46 »
Wow! what a difference no drumming at all even at 90mph ;D
The whole experience is much quieter.
I think it is a combination of a slightly tighter ST and better aerodynamics at the
front edge. Well done Witt I owe you a pint!!
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Witt

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 00:39:52 »
........I'll take you up on that offer and thank you for doing the R & D on that project. Now I feel better doing the same thing to my ST, but it has to wait 'till  next year the HT is going on tomorrow.

CHEERS !
WITT !

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:32:31 »
I am very interested in how yours turns out, guess I have a long wait ;)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Witt

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:52:00 »
.......I'll promise to report back when it's done.....really glad that yours worked out well !

CHEERS !
WITT !