Author Topic: Including our VIN in the Registry... any concerns???  (Read 6389 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Including our VIN in the Registry... any concerns???
« on: March 31, 2010, 17:49:14 »
I am curious as to whether or not anyone has a concern about posting their VIN in a public forum.  I agree that it is useful, but I also know that the VIN is basically all you need to order keys for a car.  While MB policy is to not provide key codes without proof of ownership, I am quite confident that key codes are provided at times without proof of ownership.  I'm not trying to encourage paranoia, but am wondering if this is an issue in cars that are frequently theft targets...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

RickM

Re: Including our VIN in the Registry... any concerns???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 18:32:58 »
You have a good point.

A neighbor of mine had a race prepped Porsche stolen from his garage one morning while family members were home.
To my knowledge the car was never recovered and it appears the thief learned of the car and its location from internet forum postings.

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 20:09:02 »
Among my other duties for SL113.org, I act as Registrar of our Car Registry. In all the years we've had the list on line with the VIN, no one has mentioned a problem as a result of the listing.

As you may know, some (many?) of the US states require that the VIN number of a car be visible from the outside. This leads me to believe that public display of a VIN number is not a problem.

As to the Key Code, the MB Classic Center now requires some proof of ownership such as a copy of the Registration or the Title before it will issue a Data Card with the key code.

Richard M, NYC   
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 20:58:43 »
As to the Key Code, the MB Classic Center now requires some proof of ownership such as a copy of the Registration or the Title before it will issue a Data Card with the key code.
I don't think that the Classic Center is the only MB way to get a datacard.   Do dealers have access to datacards through EPC?  Our version of EPC doesn't allow display of datacards but I thought that dealer versions did.  In any case, I think it is possible for dealers to provide the key code for cars based on VIN, which if true, means that getting a key code isn't all that difficult.   I know someone who told me that he never had any problem getting keys for the cars he was flipping from his local dealer without providing proof of ownership.

I'm not trying to start panic, I just wonder if this is thought of as an issue.  Sounds like it isn't generally thought of as an issue.

Exactly what is the advantage to posting VINs in the registry?
thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 21:31:56 »
I have dealt with the same parts guys at my local dealership for 10+ years.
They know the cars I have. 
When I went to get a key made for one of my cars, they made me bring in proof of ownership before they would order it.
When I inquired, they said they could not order keys without proof of ownership.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

wd

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 23:03:00 »
Back in the 70's I had a 66 427 corvette.  There was a national parts guy who could come up with any corvette part no matter how rare.  When I bought something from him he sent a registration card that was supposed to help in servicing your account.  Asked for every option on your car.  I did not send it in.  A few years later I saw that he and his buddies were arrested for running a theft ring.   Nice file, address and options. :o
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 23:04:53 by wd »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:34 »
When I went to get a key made for one of my cars, they made me bring in proof of ownership before they would order it.
When I inquired, they said they could not order keys without proof of ownership.
And I know from first-hand knowledge that this is not universally the case.   I know of more than one specific instance where key codes were provided without proof of ownership, both within the last year.   Given my limited sample space, if I know of more than one instance it is quite likely that there are other opportunities.   Just because some of the dealers follow the rules doesn't mean that they guy behind the counter always follows the rules.   The method is also different for old cars vs. new cars.   My 85 123 wagon required the classic center to request key codes from Germany, while my 71 and 67 MB it shows up on the datacard.  Perhaps the increased security with key codes coincides with the end of the datacard and its replacement with what looks more like a build sheet.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:34 »
The VIN number tells our historic researchers and owners about each car and places a car in the production scheme.

We can derive statistics about the number of auto and manual trannies for specific time periods or models; can tell the month of production of a car; can get percentages of right and left hand cars.

Richard M, Car Registry Registrar

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:15 »
Some of these security concerns are a bit overblown.

Yes, Scott, some nefarious thief could easily persuade some ignorant counter guy, get key codes with the VIN, seek out your car and steal it.  Or, they could point a .357 at you and you would happily GIVE them your keys.  Or, they could flat-bed it away.  While you are reading this, someone could be taking your wheels.  If someone for some reason has targeted your car there is little you are going to do to stop them.  Hiding the VIN won't do it.  MY VIN is clearly visible to ALL passersby on the little metal tab along the A pillar.  No secrets there.  All modern cars have the VIN visible through the windshield.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 15:56:43 »
Some of these security concerns are a bit overblown.
I'm actually not that concerned about it - it's more a question of whether or warrants concern.  If VINs on pagodas are visible from the outside, then it doesn't matter if we post them on the forum.    From what I am reading in this thread, it sounds like there is useful information that we can share based on VIN and that the increased risk from exposure is minimal.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 19:04:01 by Peter van Es »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 00:35:51 »
It's not the VIN that makes your car a target, it's sites like this that are the target. Since anyone, anywhere in the world can read these posts, anything you give away here is a free bee to anyone out there looking for the right chance or in some cases, any chance. This includes tech info, mechanical know how, expirience and the wish to blindly help others. Of course, most around here are grateful for the help but I'm 100% sure there are theives and scammers lurking in all the darkest corners waiting for an opertunity to strike. They may not steal your car ( that would be an extreme case ) but they will steal your time, energy, knowledge, good will and expertise without the slightest hint of guilt or second thoughts.

Actually, the whole car isn't as valuable in some ways as some of the parts on the car. The grill can be easily pinched. If you can get the car in a shed where no one is watching you can grab a lot of stuff in short order. And, unlike running with a stolen car, these guys rarely get caught.

When I parted out a 280SL last year I pulled quite a few parts before I brought the whole car home. As we were pulling parts while the owner was no where to be found, several cars drove by. None of them stopped to ask who we were or what we were doing ( I doubt he called all his friends to tell them two guys would be showing up that day to pull parts ). We could have taken all the best in an hour or less. The owner had a mean lookiong dog too - I gave the dog a piece of ham and he left us alone.

( the thief thinks: )
 I know where you have a car. Maybe I know when you won't be around. Maybe you tell me something on this site that lets me know you aren't going to be around. It's easier than you think.
   I DON'T CARE ABOUT NO STINKIN' VIN NUMBERS!

It's your car. A few have been stolen that belonged to people who hang out around here. I don't recall that any were ever recovered.
Ever notice how many grills and soft top frames that seem to be for sale right after a car goes missing? I know a guy who bought his own parts back right from the theives who took them.
I asked himwhy he didn't call the ( LA) police. He said, '' I'm alive to tell you about, right? '' 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC