Author Topic: AC RETRO FIT Question  (Read 4503 times)

tinderapples

AC RETRO FIT Question
« on: November 16, 2007, 13:19:42 »
I have a 67 250sl with an after market Fridiking under dash and nothing under the hood. I have tried to figure out the best way to keep the under dash and modernize under the hood.
I just need to establish a grocery list of what and wheres. Maybe you can tell me more detail part numbers and distributors before I buy things twice.

Here is all I know:
R-134A

Sanden Conversion Bracket (found on Ebay: York to Sanden Texaserick.com)

Sanden 508 Rotary Compressor (Need Part number and where to get it)
Parallel Flo Aluminum condensor (where to get it, Size)

o-ring type fittings
New receiver/dryer w hi/low cut out switch ( Where to get it and Type)
Spal Fan ( What model #)

Help

Brett
1966 250sl Some type of Buick Maroon

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Re: AC RETRO FIT Question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 14:07:40 »
Brett

I got something similar done on my 280SL a couple of years ago. I wanted to keep the FrigiKing underdash unit but everything from the bulkhead forward was seized up.

I got the Bud's Benz kit except for the underdash unit and that takes care of most of the stuff on your shopping list at a very fair price. The compressor is not a Sanden but it fits neatly and works. The Bud's supplied receiver/dryer does not have the hi/low cut out and the alternative which I got did not let the bonnet (hood!) close if mounted in the original position and so we just put in the Bud's receiver/dryer. Bud's don't do the SPAL blower but there was a thread a couple of weeks ago which gave the part number for the blower which you want - and it is worth it.

I am very pleased with the output of the system although as I live in Scotland it hasn't exactly been tested in extremes.

I don't know if there is any difference between the 280 and the 250 which would give you trouble on the installation. I am sure that one of the members will have fitted the Bud's kit to a 250 and will post if there are any specific problems.

There is a thread within the last year giving detailed info on installing the Bud's kit but I can't remember the name of the member.

All the best with the project.

Regards
Andrew
Edinburgh, Scotland

1969 280SL with A/C
1966 230SL without
Andrew

1966 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:56:03 »
The under dash unit probably isn't aftermarket.  That's the way they were done.  

The Sanden 508 is a great compressor.  I replaced my working York with a Sanden and I am very happy.  Less weight, less drag on the engine, and no vibration.  There is a company in Ft. Worth called Old Air Products.   They are quite helpful and have all kinds of solutions.  I had them rebuild my original drier.  

I never found a cross-flow condenser that fit exactly.  I did find a company that makes an aluminum condenser with twice the number of thinner tubes that is an exact fit.  (Well, I had to enlarge one mounting hole.)  Unfortunatly, I have lost that contact information, but I found them through the internet and they were very helpful on the phone. The volume of the replacement condenser should be very close to the original.  That is important because you want your evaporator and condenser to have the same volume to keep the system pressures balanced properly.

The York to Sanden adapter you are talking about bolts onto the massive A/C bracket that mounts the idler pulley and York compressor.  If you have this on the car, your alternator will be mounted high.  When you bolt the adapter to the bracket, you'll need four spacers to make the compressor pulley line up with the dual belt crankshaft pulley.  I used 1-inch spacers that I bought at Lowe's.  

Bring your patience with you, it's tight under there.  You'll want to put the condenser and radiator back in as an assembly, and last.  You'll really want help for that.  

Take a look at how other A/C cars are installed.  Good luck.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 16:27:58 »
Brett,

I am doing what you are but got a bit sidetracked while doing the project.  I am getting my parts from Texaseric (Eric Laskowski) also.  He will also be making my lines, supplying a new dryer and expansion valve.  I need to put everything back together before I get my new lines correctly sized.  The condenser will not need to be the same size as the original if you plan to go with a parallel flow.  I bought mine from an Ebay retailer who also sold me the Spal blower and a Spal electric cooling fan.  My concern is overheating with the A/C on but I have a 280.  The Benz Dr. explained to me the the 230's and 250's are less prone to overheating if everything else like the radiator and thermstat are OK.  I still have to put mine together which I expect to have done by next summer so I cannot report on my findings but there is much on the subject on this site.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic