Author Topic: SLS Hard Top Hoist and Stand  (Read 7617 times)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
SLS Hard Top Hoist and Stand
« on: December 13, 2012, 23:25:35 »

I have seen many excellent lifts and rigs on the forum here, and
I was thinking of making my own, and looked at what SLS had on offer.

They seem to do a Hoist and a stand (truck)  for under 400 Euro,
so I thought  it may be better  to buy  a ready made assembly from them, as I am in UK and Holland.

Has any one any experience of their particular example please ? good or bad ?

Thanks

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

DavidBrough

Re: SLS Hard Top Hoist and Stand
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:24:04 »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience if the SLS products but I purchased an hardtop stand some time ago from Classic Additions I think (£125) and an electric hoist from Machine Mart (£90) and a roof bar from Thule (£40) which work very well.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 20:10:43 »
I have one from SLS, and as for the rest of their products, the quality is spotless. I only regret they discontinued the manual hoist, but that's is easy to source from elsewhere.
However, I once seen a foldable stand, which makes sense and is easier to store when the HT is not on it. I lost the link for that, but it was the best design I can remember.

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54:45 »
Thank you David and FlyAir for the response.

I was originally contemplating the make it yourself method for the hoist, there are plenty of Electric Hoists available, and the Hard Top is only about 50 Kg, My worry is how to attach the mechanism to the Hard Top..

David - Do you know which THULE kit you used ? and do you need an "inching" type electric hoist - when refitting the Hard Top ?

Thanks Again

Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:32:47 »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I can't remember what type of Thule bar I purchased but I'll see if it's marked anywhere when I get chance and post a picture. Same issue with the hoist as well I'm afraid I just bought the cheapest one they did and it can move an inch or so at a time per single press on the button but it is a little jerky when doing that but it works fine, I'll post the model number if I can find it.

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 14:03:29 »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I can't see any markings on the roof bar but the hoist is a Wolf WEH 125/250 and a picture is attached, hope that helps.

w113dude

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 15:22:23 »
Cool set up David,
I have a set of old volvo 240 roof-racks that will work great, it has the lips that will go over & wrap around the chrome piece perfect for lifting.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 15:49:54 »
Quote from: paladin
I have seen many excellent lifts and rigs on the forum here, and
I was thinking of making my own, .../...  
My setup is similar to Davids, a Thule roof rack bar attached to the drip rail at the balance point of the H/T. However, I use an electric sun shade motor and two fabric type straps.
Gives good control up/down, and allows me to mount or remove the H/T singlehanded (Note H/T on the wall in background is for a second car).
Weight of H/T is 46 kilogrammes
/Hans in Sweden

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 15:55:17 by mbzse »
/Hans S

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
    • Sandhills Motoring Festival, Pinehurst, NC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 00:45:17 »
Dave, I like your setup. I have the same hoist, now I will look for a Thule rack. Thanks guys, another answer to a question I didn't even think of!!!! It doesn't get any better than that!
1970 280sl Horizon blue/navy, automatic
1973 450sl Silver/red, automatic
1985 280sl red/beige, 5 speed
1995 E320 Cab. Black/Cream, Auto
2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17:53 »
Surfer,
I bought my Thule as one of a pair, advertised on Craigslist.  Cheap.  The thing to get is one of the 'old-school' models now being abandoned because autos increasingly have no drip rails no more.  Otherwise, the model of Thule is not particularly critical.  No expert knowledge of the Thule line here, but it seems the only other likely variable would be the length of cross-bar, which could conceivably be too short to span -- unlikely, as the top of the top is not so wide -- or too long to be convenient, also not so likely to be much of an issue, plus I imagine it would be susceptible to alteration by hacksaw if desired.  My bar is from a Subaru wagon and could be a foot or so shorter and still work, but does not protrude beyond the overall width of the car.

I know there is a sort of 'hi-boy' model in the Thule line which just stands the crossbar up a few inches relative to the regular models; this would be of little concern to us in our application unless you need to count every inch of clearance in the hoisted position.  That is, when one leaves the top hoisted for storage as I do, the taller mounts would leave the top a few inches lower when hoisted to the maximum.  [Walter has issues negotiating my garage space when it's up there, as it shares ceiling space with structural members and the garage door opener, and Herr Klatt is just plain tall.  I, on the other hand was never over six feet and have lost three or so inches somewhere in the last decade -- apparently due to rough handling in times past -- and this is about the only situation I can think of in which it is of any advantage at all.]

On the subject of jerking with electric-powered hoists, that is mediated in my rig as a happy side effect of having added a traveling pulley from which the Thule crossbar is hung.  I used it because it helped me locate the point of pull where I wanted it as well as spreading the load to two structural members in the ceiling for the mount points, and it also reduced the rate of travel by half, which I like for those final moments of mating things up.  The side effect is that it absorbs most of the 'bounce' that the on-offing of the hoist drive can generate in those last critical moments in the mating process.  [cough. ahem. um, sorry.]

When it came to attaching that pulley to the Thule crossbar, I wasn't comfortable with concentrating all the stress on one small point, and especially not when weakening that same point with a hole.  I started planning to wrap the area in a sort of sheet-metal diaper/sling and fasten to that, but finally did just drill the ~8mm hole for an eye-bolt and made myself feel better about it by sliding a ~18" length of square steel tube over that area (with another through-&-through hole for the eye-bolt) so the stresses get spread out over a much larger area.  [That steel stock is heavy-duty stuff, so it's overkill, but simple, cheap and effective; the Thule crossbar is probably the best way of securing our tops, but that single-point concentration of all the stress is a worrisome weak spot.]

I covered the span with a sleeve of tubular pipe insulation as insurance against damage from contact; possible overkill again.  The Thule's are fitted with locks to deter their theft, which we probably won't use, but if you're planning on somehow utilizing it, hang on to the key; the key blanks for those locks are hard to find. 

1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
    • Sandhills Motoring Festival, Pinehurst, NC
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 14:37:34 »
Thanks David. The picture and your detailed explanation was very helpful. I have started looking on craigslist for a Thule rack......
I just renewed my membership this week as I think this is THE BEST site ever! I am restoring a 70 280sl and the members on here have been extremely helpful. I have saved a lot of time and MONEY from the help I have received here.... THANKS EVERYONE!!!
1970 280sl Horizon blue/navy, automatic
1973 450sl Silver/red, automatic
1985 280sl red/beige, 5 speed
1995 E320 Cab. Black/Cream, Auto
2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 15:16:20 »
Re: Dennis (pagoden)

Thank you for a very informative and interesting write up,  I like your solution to reduce
the final drop speed.

I am going to see an "Audi" hoist that is for sale tomorrow, which
apparently lifts from undre the rear side windows.

There seem to be lots of good solutions here on the site.

Keep Well

Paul

Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:36 »
You're welcome; my pleasure.  That travelling pulley originated from a need for a lifting point that was not directly under a joist.  While wrestling with that I realized the half-speed result of using it was something I'd welcome.  And with the size of lag- and eye-bolts I used, the halving of the load on each suspension point was probably yet more overkill, but it's pleasing that those three considerations were all met by the one design feature. 
Kind of you to mention, Paul; I benefit greatly from the collective (often hard-won) wisdom of this group as well.  Good hunting for your hoist.

Keep well,

Denny

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 13:57:28 »
I need to work something out and a traveling pulley may be the solution. When my garage door is open, it is suspended directly over my Pagoda inhibiting a lift system. One way to solve this is to put the lift mechanism on a track. When my garage door is closed, I can move the lift into position and lift the top off the car. I could then slide the lift with the top attached out of the way and then open the garage door. Has anyone seen such a configuration? Anyone have the same problem I do?
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:37 »
Wow, "Beige", I wasn't that imaginative when I set about avoiding the overhead door mechanisms and structural beam across the ceiling of my garage; yours is a a much more ambitious idea.  With mine located immediately behind -- toward the inside of the garage -- the overhead door drive motor, there is no conflict with the door and so no need for 'travelling' the hoist and its burden, but I have to back the car in for lifting and lowering.  It's a bit of a nuisance and can't very well be done at all in foul weather, but the car occupies nearly the same patch of floor that it usually does and can be kept there with no inconvenience if desired.  The cockpit being slightly to the rear provides about the right offset such that, when reversed, puts the car where it needs to be for grasping the top at its CG.  And when parked conventionally -- nose in -- the rear areas of the suspended top clear the opened engine bay hood/bonnet by ~ a foot.  Backing into the confines to the Right Spot is a little challenging the first time or two, yes.    :P

I imagine you're thinking of mounting the hoist/motor frame on a track above above the garage door lift mechanism with a spreader-bar mounted across it to spread wide a loop of cable slung below it to attach to the Thule bar.  If the lifting cable were fed out to one side from the hoist as a longish loop over a spreader bar end on one side and then down around below the door-hoist works and looping back up to attach to the spreader bar end on the other side, then a pulley fixed on the 'first' end of the spreader and the traveling pulley suspended below with the Thule bar attached would form the cable loop into a V surrounding the door-hoist mechanisms, be self-centering and travel vertically at one-half -- or less, actually, given the math involved with the angularity -- winch speed.  Determining the length of the spreader would require some thought.  And I'd want the track rated to suspend at least 200#, just to keep me sleeping peacefully at night.
In my case, I had support-point issues in my garage structure which, when combined with the primary pull-point anchored remotely (over on a nearby structural column) plus working to integrate with the drop- or hoist-point requirements burned up sufficient of my brain cells to keep me from imagining as far as you have taken it.  I settled for turning 'round and backing in twice a year.  

I'll enjoy and appreciate reading about and seeing drawings, photos or any news of the traveling rig(s) you (all) may install.     Best luck.      

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 20:02:17 »
Thanks Pagoden. I had to read your post a couple of times to understand what you were describing. I think I understand it. Going to take a close look at may garage when I get home on Friday.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet