Author Topic: What would be a no-brainer in a ground up restoration?  (Read 3393 times)

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
What would be a no-brainer in a ground up restoration?
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:43 »
Hi There,

New member here. I am about to embark on a new restoration (near total) of a 280SL manual (or standard) transmission (RHD) and was hoping to tap into the brains trust for some tips.
I am wanting to know which parts should be replaced in a total restoration if you could.......... regardless of the condition of the original part?
Firstly, I'm all for retaining the original item and would much prefer to restore and refurbish original items and went to great length to retain my original hose clamps, wiper washer reservoir, firewall padding, etc, on my first Pagoda. However, seeing as I am having this next car pulled apart there are some items that should simply be replaced as a no-brainer due to their availability, low cost, likelihood to fail, difficulty to replace once assembled, etc. I'm not referring to cosmetic items- only working parts. Items such as speedo cable, gear linkages, clutch plate, etc? Also what items are highly recommended for overhaul / service - Eg: Brake booster, Gearbox?, Fuel pump?, etc? Sadly, whilst I would love to work on this myself I am have limited experience and even less time so I will mostly likely be paying for professionals all the way......ouch! (thankfully, after my first car I now have a decent list of trusted people).

Many Thanks

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
Re: What would be a no-brainer in a ground up restoration?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 16:46:47 »
 This would probably be better posted in the General Discussion, but here is my opinion.

If you are doing a true ground-up restore, you should plan to remove and inspect all mechanical components.  Electrical such as fuel pump, starter, alternator should be replaced or rebuilt.  The rear end should be re-sealed and re-bushed.  Shocks and all bushings replaced.  The front end should be taken apart, cleaned, and put back together with worn components replaced and all rubber replaced.  Brakes (pads, rotors, rubber lines, parking brake cables, master cylinder) should be new.  The booster should be rebuilt.  If the engine and trans are good, then they should be resealed, otherwise rebuilt.

In other words, when finished the car should basically be new, or close to it, mechanically.  This is what I did on my 280SL project, and I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck,

CT
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA