Author Topic: Antenna power  (Read 5246 times)

rob walker

Antenna power
« on: July 30, 2010, 17:31:00 »
I am in the process of removing an undesirable modern stereo and rewiring back to the original Blaupunkt radio.
I have removed the many wires for the modern and have located the main power feed to the old radio.
I need then to get power to the antenna, but the live feed that was connected was live all the time.
My undertsanding is that the correct wiring would only have live feed to run the antenna motor when the radio is turned on, is this correct? I dont really want the antenna up when the radio is not in use as this produces an anoying wind whistle noticable with the top down.

Where should the antenna take its power from?

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Hirschmann Auta 6000U C98 - F108 electrical power
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 18:02:32 »
Hi Rob,

Not that I am an expert here ...
I guess you are referring to an areal / antenna like the original Hirschmanns and Bosch units ...

Your observation is correct. 8)

Usually there are three wires going to the antenna motor.

First one is constant current (permanent positive). Motor needs this for feed to drive the antenna out and in.
Second is "plus" coming from the radio which "tells" the motor by a relais-like mechanism to drive out the antenna.
If you turn off the radio this positive signal disappears and the relais-like stop-mechanism switches to the opposite pole which drives the motor (armature) the other direction to pull the antenna in.
Third one is ground.

That's what I remember ....
(hope I am right here)

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

al_lieffring

Re: Antenna power
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 18:41:30 »
Could you post a photo of the back of the Blaupunkt you are installing? maybee we can figure out where the antenna controll output is located.

rob walker

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 15:22:15 »
Attached front and back photos.
I seem to have located the 2 antenna power leads.
In addition there is a yellow lead which supplies power to the radio and comes from the loom under the bonnet (hood) on the right hand side.
For the antenna there is a yellow lead and a red power coming from the ignition side of the dash. These were all used for the modern system so not introducing any other power
Radio has power and works with yellow only from the loom. With red antenna lead connected nothing happens and if I touch the yellow antenna lead to the yellow power to the radio from the loom the antenna operates.
But this does mean that the antenna is always up when ignition switched on even if the radio is not on.

rob walker

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 15:33:00 »
Another point is that the radio has permanent power i.e. can be switched on even if the ignition is not on, is this correct?

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 19:03:08 »
It should be powered from the first position of the ignition switch.
So is not powered when the ignition is off.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 19:07:32 »
Further there is a permanent power wire which is used to keep the memory in more modern radios. These two wires (permanent and ignition pos 1 power) can be found buried in the loom by the
right suspension strut, at least they were on my 280SL.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 20:44:13 »
 I dont see any terminal on the back of the radio that would power an antenna motor. there may be something behind the plastic plug that powers on with the radio switch.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 20:46:17 by al_lieffring »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 09:17:43 »
Maybe this site will help you with detailed info on your Blaupunkt radio: http://derwhites356literature.com/DerWhitesBlaupunktRadios.html

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!