Author Topic: As seen on TV!  (Read 5096 times)

Malc

As seen on TV!
« on: December 22, 2003, 06:59:15 »
For those of you who can get the BBC program Top Gear the main presenter Jeremy Clarkson was comparing a Pagoda with the latest SL from MB and guess what he liked the Pagoda better than the new one!
As may of you who know he is usually very critical/cynical about older cars but apart from him stating that the "kickdown" only making more noise and the car not going any faster, maybe due to the amount of paint on the car he really liked it, plus all the "famous" people in the UK who own one, probably because they don't need speed, toys and gadgets to distract them from the pleasure of driving one.

For those of you who are on other parts of the planet you might catch it on BBC World or whatever it is hope you do
Cheers
Malc
Snowy Scotland
PS makes me even more determined to get mine over, still having trouble arranging "remote" shipping

n/a

Re: As seen on TV!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 07:08:21 »
That was my car featured on Top Gear last night and guess what? I missed it! I have just collected it from Roger Edwards who completed a £7000 cosmetic overhaul and she looks absolutely beautiful! Shame it wasn't before they filmed.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:40:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Fitch

That was my car featured on Top Gear last night and guess what? I missed it! I have just collected it from Roger Edwards who completed a £7000 cosmetic overhaul and she looks absolutely beautiful! Shame it wasn't before they filmed.

It looked good to me!! Yours was the film car or the studio car, I think they were different? Either your wing mirrors were on wrong, or mine are!

And please tell us it did more than 41mph (before Edwards touched it) :D

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

n/a

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 08:32:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Fitch

It looked good to me!! Yours was the film car or the studio car, I think they were different? Either your wing mirrors were on wrong, or mine are!

And please tell us it did more than 41mph (before Edwards touched it) :D

n/a

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 08:33:47 »
Mine was the car he drove, not the studio car and yes Tosh I can confirm that she can do more than 41mph (downhill of course!)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 10:32:41 »
Nick,
Well! He did manage to get it up to 65mph on the motorway!!
naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 10:41:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by naj

Nick,
Well! He did manage to get it up to 65mph on the motorway!!
naj

That's cos he was making sure he looked after it well. Chelsea Cars would not want to sell Nick a car that'd had the guts thrashed out of it, now would they?! ;)
James L

Malc

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 11:33:29 »

And please tell us it did more than 41mph (before Edwards touched it)

He was going on about the kickdown on the automatic gearbox, basically along the lines of.....
At 40 mph you put your foot down,,,,,ah there it goes,,,, yes! Yes It's doing 41 mph with alot more noise!!! It's just a switch Blah Blah Blah

Malc
Scotland
(Still Snowy)!

Bearcat

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 10:44:18 »
I had two SL320s W129s and they were lifeless souless pigs. The SL500/600 is the only car to get of the modern SL's. I have a 1970 280sl which was restored costing over 50kstg to get done. The car is magnificent, it has soul, people admire it and puts to shame most convertibles on the road.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 10:54:47 »
Clarkson has the SL55AMG I believe. Although he has put his name down for the new Ford GT

Offer still stands: if anyone has the skill to put the (PAL) VHS I took onto MPeg I'll happily forward the tape. I'm sure that between us we can find a way of hosting the clip. 8)

Oh, and Bearcat, that's a chunk of cash! Worth it I am sure. Would love to see the end result!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 10:56:22 by Tosh »
James L