Author Topic: Ignition safety switch cable  (Read 835 times)

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Ignition safety switch cable
« on: January 31, 2024, 23:25:48 »
The cable on my ignition safely switch on my 1971 is not secured to the bracket at the firewall.  When you shift gears the cable just slides down.The switch is working.  How is it secured to the tube it slides Thur so it just doesn’t pull down towards the trans..  The tube is secured on the firewall bracket with a nut on the top and bottom. The tube has a slit in it I assume to slide the cable Thur when replacing.  If i hold the cable in place the shifting switch works so the car won’t start in gear..

Thanks

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
Re: Ignition safety switch cable
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 23:38:08 »
Since the cable is not secure when you shift the gears it will slide down and the cable will slide out of the slit in the tube and get stuck below on it

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 02:23:53 »
Here is a photo of the cable

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 02:44:44 »
I seem to recall when I replaced my cable that it fit into the bottom nut and was possibly tightened.  It does not move when the switch moves.
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 00:04:56 »
Tried to see if there was a nut to tighten down around the cable to keep it from slipping but the nut at the bottom is actually part of the tube the cable slides through then there are the two nuts that hold the metal tube to the firewall, so no way to tighten up around the cable to secure Here’s a photo of the cable pushed in but as soon as you put the car in gear, the cable doesn’t slide through the black plastic cover it just pushes the whole cable out and it becomes loose again.

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 08:22:02 »
Hello, Have a look on here, if this doesn't help just search "neutral safety switch" you may get some more tips

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=1912.msg9503#msg9503

I also read that the newer cables are longer and won't fit older cars, but you should be ok with a 71 car
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:02:14 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 18:51:29 »
That was it ...Thanks, was able to just loosen the top nut and screw the threads tube onto the cable while it was still in the bracket on firewall, securing the cable. Then just tightened the top nut.  Reverse lights working and car not starting in gear.   

Thanks again.