Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Armature Rewind?  (Read 3402 times)

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Electric Fuel Pump Armature Rewind?
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:47:43 »
Hi, My 1970 280SL would start up but when warmed up it would stall.  I couldn't figure it out until I realized the electric fuel pump wasn't turning at all.  I was very surprised because I figured it wouldn't have run at all if that was inop.

Anyway I took the pump apart and saw that the armature had started to melt.  Kind of pissed me off because I had the correct fuse in and it had blown.  I am wondering if anyone knows if the armature can be rebuilt?  or does someone have a parts pump with a good armature.  Thankfully I had an extra pump I bought off ebay years ago.

Thanks for any advice.
1970 280 SL

George Des

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Armature Rewind?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 18:31:56 »
These armatures can be rewound and a new commutator installed. However, the one you have pictured here looks like the segments have been distorted and burned. My guess is that this armature is toast and you would need to find a "rewindable and re-commutatorable" one from a spare.

George Desiderio

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Re: Electric Fuel Pump Armature Rewind?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:53:58 »
Thanks George.  I don't know but I was figuring the metal segments could be repainted with varnish and put back in place.  The plastic is melted but not sure how critical it is.   I imagine it would be expensive unless I dropped it off in Shanghai next time I am there. 

If anyone has a spare armature let me know.  I hate to throw away good parts for this car.
1970 280 SL