Author Topic: Dwell Angle - Help!  (Read 22261 times)

jacovdw

Re: Dwell Angle - Help!
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 08:31:57 »
Gentlemen,

It looks as if my earlier post about not lubricating the felt in models produced after January 1970 has stirred up some controversy...  :-[

My apologies for that, I should have explained myself better.

Whilst the Service Manual (or BBB) mentions that it should not be done, it does not give an explanation WHY it should not be done.

We also know that there are some inconsistencies in the Service Manual (BBB) as well. However, in the absence of a reason/explanation from the BBB, I see no reason why the felt should not be lubed.

Based on personal experience, I had to have the distributor of my 1975 W114 rebuilt as a result of lack of said maintenance by the previous owners.

...ok, that is two drops if made before Jan 1970 and none if made after Jan 1970. My car was made Jan, 1970 so....split the difference?   One drop! ;)

WD,

That sure would be better than no drops at all... :D

jaymanek

Re: Dwell Angle - Help!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 13:40:46 »
Thanks all, I will get some of that grease.

I had another go at setting the points... i noticed that whilst my friend was adjusting, he must have caught the points wire with the screwdriver as it was almost severed.. so i took the point off, soldered and insulated the wire and tried again.. this time with a tiny amount of oil.

Its pretty consistent at 38-39 now... although my digital meter cant be very good as it jumps around a lot.

Car still only idles well when it feels like it...

I have ordered Leads from SLS and cap, rotor arm and plugs from MB dealer.