Author Topic: Nissan Bosch fuel pump for Mercedes 230SL  (Read 6323 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Nissan Bosch fuel pump for Mercedes 230SL
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 20:53:21 »
You need to get the specifications on the pump in question, and compare to the fuel requirement of the Pagoda (See the Wiki Tech Manual).  If it exceeds the pressure and volume you'll need a regulator.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 23:21:10 »
It is not this pump that they are selling, they just use this image because it looks so much better than a Nissan pump  :D

George Des

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 00:54:15 »
Looks to me like a misleading post on ebay to use this picture for a Nissan pump. Really pays to read the descriptions!

George Desiderio

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:34 »
Bosch does indeed make a pump for that specific Nissan; it is a Bosch fuel pump, not a Nissan pump.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JCamp

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 18:18:20 »
I have been in search of the specifications on that pump but so far nothing.  This Bosch pump is also used on several other Nisssan models but there are slight variances in the part number and pricing.  I am sure this has to do with the pressure and flow.  My 230sl fuel pump which is the short version has a blown winding, I have all the orings and the brushes to rebuild but rewinding is not an option.

George Des

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 00:50:04 »
A rewind and new commutator on that particular armature can be done for about $75-85 U.S. If you'd like to have done send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the company that has done several large and small ones for me in the past. I have no connection to the company but I've been satisfied with their work.

Geoirge Desiderio

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:12:22 »
I thought you were on to something but I sourced the pump using the listings from the ebay auction on thepartsbin.com and as I suspected all the fuel pumps of that era were in the tank models so that is the wrong photo.

It looks like the seller is JC whitney. If you Google the pump number it comes up with the same photo for JC Whitney. Of course if you tell JC Whitney you want one for a 113 the price changes a little to $950.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 23:34:39 by Shvegel »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 13:21:32 »
If the goal is to simply avoid using the original [and admittedly, quite expensive] OEM fuel pump, and George Des' suggestions [resident expert on same] don't work for you, you might want to check out places such as:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Fuel-Pumps,-Electric-External/?keyword=Aeromotive%20fuel%20pump&dds=1

They are but one firm that specializes in supplying the aftermarket, particularly those who build race cars, hot rods, and the like, with many kinds and types of electric fuel pumps.  While it may be quite impossible to exactly match the specifications of our Bosch unit with a single pump, many applications will employ a pressure regulator as well.  Edelbrock also sells them and many other "racing" supply houses do as well.

As long as you figure out the mounting and the hose/fitting arrangements you'll probably save about 50%.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid