Author Topic: Air Filter - K&N?  (Read 3324 times)

Trip

Air Filter - K&N?
« on: January 06, 2015, 13:15:58 »
Has anyone used a K&N air filter? or another brand, either with a custom application, or that fits stock canister?
Would like to see pic, if there is a custom application.   Can someone give me a brand and part number, if I go back to stock.
thanks,
Trip

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Air Filter - K&N?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 14:49:05 »
Hi. Yes K&N makes a filter that fits the 230SL perfectly. I did have to order mine from local Kragen (or is it O'Reilly?)...as it was not one they stock. I am convinced it improved things, although it is hard to be sure -- car performs great due to so many pieces of the puzzle. Bad news is I don't have the model number handy -- its here on the forum somewhere though. Or I may have the box in the garage. I will look!

Good luck
James
63 230SL

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 21:01:20 »
Question with the reusable K&N. You used to typically have to oil the filter in order for it to trap dirt. Is that still true?

If so, have you ever found that a very thin oil film builds up over time in the hose and on the throttle plate?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

hauser

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 21:53:18 »
An oil bath filter was an option back in the day for cars destined to certain countries.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 22:58:55 »
The K&N air filter comes coated with an oily sticky coating. To reuse it, I was told to soak it overnight in a degreasing solution like the LA Awesome stuff sold at the Dollar Store (sorry if these aren't universal names to people). It cuts through the grime. After it is soaked, you let it dry -- and reapply the K&N coating (available at auto-stores that sell K&N). 8 bucks or so for an aerosol can. Just spray it on the filter. I have yet to do this 7 years later because its just not that dirty...

By the way, the one you want is E-2380. About 50 bucks I think.
James
63 230SL