Author Topic: Melting air filter?  (Read 3802 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Melting air filter?
« on: December 07, 2008, 23:46:49 »
This cowl air filter is only about 1000 miles old. The driver's side is disintergrating, almost looks melted! I have not had any overheating issues. The only thing different related to the heating system is that I've got a heater bypass installed. Has anybody seen this before?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 00:33:36 by awolff280sl »
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Melting air filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 13:10:49 »
Andy,

It looks like a chemical burn; could it be a solvent or something you've used to clean the car? Or you have mice that smoke.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 14:35:19 »
andy

James' sarcastic remark about a mouse was correct, look deeper inside the air box and under the dash, you will most likely find nesting material padded with fluff from your air filter.

Park your car with the windows rolled up and the blue vent lever closed, this will help keep the critters out of the air box.

Once a mouse has found a path into your car, they leave behind a scent that others will follow after you have removed the current residents it is not uncommon for another to move right back in. On farm trucks and vehicles I have had to install metal screens asross vent openings to keep the varmits out.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 18:00:08 »
Great info, I think I was probably careless with lubricating the heater valve at some point in the past. But I will be sure to keep my windows up and the vent flap closed from now on. Thanks!
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:26 »
 ;D Loved the mouse smoking one!
Hmm, looks like a chemical reaction of the fibers to something you put on your car.
By any chance have the strong alcohol type wiper fluid? Brake cleaner fluid or the likes that caused the shriveling up of the plastic fibers.
Reminds me of the time when I was an idiot looking for a container to hold gasoline with to pour down the carb throat of a friends car and I found an old styrofoam coffee cup and poured gas into it.  Walked back to my friends car when I felt the burning in my hand and I looked down to see the cup literally melting in my hand.  Yeow!
Once bitten, twice shy.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel, not a gasser.