Author Topic: FULL MEMBERS ONLY: DISCOUNT ON BLOCKLEY 185-HR14 WW & BW TIRES FOR LIMITED TIME  (Read 4693 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
ANNOUNCING: BLOCKLEY DISCOUNT PROGRAM FOR FULL MEMBERS

Your Board of Directors are always on the lookout for ways to enhance your membership experience. Today we announce a program to allow full members to receive a discount on Blockley’s tires specifically made in the Pagoda’s original size of 185HR-14, both in hard-to-find whitewall as well as blackwall.

The program is limited in time (6 weeks or less) and scope (only to full members of the group). Even before this generous discount offered by Blockley, their tires are attractively priced and one of the few tires that are the exact size as the originals and with the appropriate look as well.

Both BW and WW tires are in stock with a limited supply. The next inventory will be priced higher. Thus, we urge you to take advantage of this special offer now.

Blockley 185HR-14 Whitewall: List price £165. Member Special 20% discount = £132 each.
Blockley 185HR-14 Blackwall: List price £125. Member Special 10% discount = £110 each.

At today’s exchange rates the Whitewall price of £132 is approximately USD $180 and €157 respectively. The Blackwall price of £110 is approximately USD $150 and €131. Shipping, VAT, taxes, duty are extra.

See details of the tire here: https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/185hr14-white-wall
or here: https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/185hr14

Every one of these 185HR14 Blockley tires is inspected and checked for dynamic balance - The small painted yellow circle on the side wall can be aligned with the valve stem by the installer so they know the optimum position to place it. They perform this additional inspection process as they are determined to supply the best possible no-compromise product. As with all Blockley radial tires, if these are not the best tires you have ever driven on, drive 1,000 miles or so and they’ll refund.

IN ORDER TO TAKE ADVANTAGE of this special, do not order directly from the website. Sent an email FIRST to: info@blockleytyre.com or contact them at tel:+44(0)1386-701717 or their contact form at https://www.blockleytyre.com/page/contact Indicate you are a full member of the Pagoda Group.

If you are not a full member, join now to take advantage of this offer. We will verify membership status for Blockley Tyre Company.

As mentioned in another thread I have these tires and I think they are great. They are one of the few tires available in the original size of 185HR14, and even rarer still, in whitewall. They ride great, and they look great too. I'm very happy with these tires.

Note: if you are not interested in taking advantage of this, that's fine. But this is not a thread to discuss one tire vs. another.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Thankyou Michael for all the work to put this together.  Great deal.

I have asked Blockley the question on shipment to Australia. I have been looking to get new Coker or Goodrich tyres and they had to come from USA and were super expensive ($499) so it is timely for me.

Garry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 22:23:43 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Great job Michael!  Possibly this was discussed but if so I missed it.

Does the cost shown include shipping or will that be an additional charge?  Again many thanks for your work on this.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
All details are provided…
Be sure to read the entire document, read details on the tires in the links, learn more about Blockley on their website.
Be sure to follow instructions if you are going to order…

This is for a limited time and supply is limited, too.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Blockey responded to my enquiry very quickly.

Unfortunately, shipping from UK to Australia was £510. (US $695] for a set of tyres thus nearly doubling the price and making it a non viable proposition.

Pity as the tyre price was good.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

AndrewB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Forest
Just one question re the Blockley's - do they have the "rubbing strip" on the tyre sidewall ?
1969 280SL
1970 280SL (undergoing restoration)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
@AndrewB - looking at the pictures in the link in the first post, it doesn't look like it
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
They do have a bit of an elevated rub strip. Different than the one on my prior Coker’s. I do not know what the original looked like on the Phoenix or Conti RA60. I can tell you no rub strip can possibly protrude far enough from the tire to protect the wheel cover.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
https://mailchi.mp/7f2083f240b5/pagoda-sl-group-and-the-blockley-tyre-company

Mailshot has gone out... and I can imagine shipping a long way for tyres is expensive as they are bulky and shipping costs are still 10-fold what they were 2 years ago, prior to Covid.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 14:12:59 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
As there was a note about what the Phoenix tire looks like, attached are pictures of my original phoenix and the whitewall is one from Coker

cheers
jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
As there was a note about what the Phoenix tire looks like, attached are pictures of my original phoenix and the whitewall is one from Coker

Thanks for those photos, John!  Now, anyone have an original Conti RA60??

I think the "rub strips" are as different as the "fender notches"...no two alike.

The appearance of the rub strip on the original Firestone Phoenix "half radial" tire [that was the first tire specified for the W113, second sourced by the Continental RA60)] is very different than that on the Coker Phoenix. The Coker kind of comes to a point, whereas the Firestone is flat, and broader.

On the Blockley it is more close in appearance to the Firestone, but does not protrude nearly as much as it appears to on the Firestone. I sincerely doubt whether any of them offer any meaningful protection to the [now extremely costly] wheel covers, as this strip would have to protrude from the tire far more than it does now. So it is more of an appearance thing to make the owner feel better than a practical thing to protect the wheel covers.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Thanks for those photos, John!  Now, anyone have an original Conti RA60??

I am away from the car, but I have an original continental — I have these photos on my device. - not the best shots for the rub stripe but you can see it.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
I am away from the car, but I have an original continental — I have these photos on my device. - not the best shots for the rub stripe but you can see it.

Like I suspected...different again from the original Phoenix and today's modern tires with the emulation of that.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Here are a couple of shots of my original Phoenix whitewall that I took a few minutes ago.  The strip is broad and very well rounded.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
Has anyone gotten shipping quotes for USA?
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
Cost for 5 tires shipped, tax,, to North Carolina, $262 per tire. 
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Cost for 5 tires shipped to Alexandria, Virginia, $84/tire.  Works out to about $262/tire for white walls, including shipping.  Current price for Coker Phoenix white walls is $326, plus tax and shipping.  This morning Coker has just announced across the board price increases of 10-25%, effective February 21.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Cost for 5 tires shipped to Alexandria, Virginia, $84/tire.  Works out to about $262/tire for white walls, including shipping.  Current price for Coker Phoenix white walls is $326, plus tax and shipping.  This morning Coker has just announced across the board price increases of 10-25%, effective February 21.

Thanks, Mike.

If anyone in the USA is looking at WW tires, yes, the $262 per tire, landed at your home, is quite a bit better than the Coker price today (which does NOT include shipping, sure to be another $20 or so per tire). The only other comparable WW would be that elusive Michelin MXV; the only place I've seen that for sale is Lucas Classic Tire in LA, and they don't have any stock at the moment. So their price is totally irrelevant; they cannot deliver. But, IF they had the tire in stock today, the price without shipping would be $329 each.

As we all know, tires in the original size of 185HR14 are rare; there are actually just a few. They are all "boutique" tires, since no car in decades has used that size. Boutique means low volume, batch made, replacement only. If you or your car demands BW tires, well the choice then includes the Vredestein Sprint Classic. If you are satisfied with Hankooks, Uniroyal, or anything in a P195, 205/70, or other similar sizes, the offer isn't for you.

The "next batch" of tires from any supplier is going to reflect increased costs. There may be delays due to supply chain issues. Transportation costs are up all over, too. I pointed this out in the note. The Coker price increase is just one...

So like I said at the onset of the project--the time to order is now if you want or need tires in this size. If you wait it's only going to cost more later this year and in the future.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 17:03:58 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Just an update on shipping costs.  Blockley ships to the U.S. via UPS.  When my shipment of 5 tires landed Stateside I received a $68 e-mail billing from UPS for Customs duties and brokerage fees and an attached customs form that needed to be printed out, filled out, signed and scanned back to a UPS office in Texas.  The tires arrived a couple of days after the bill was settled.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
And for clarity,
Although I do like and have fitted many Blockley tyres, they DO NOT have the rubbing strip. Michelins DO have that strip but at a price.....
They do to a large extent help prevent kerbing of your rims.

thomas wright

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Michael, nice one for saving us poor Pagoda owner some money.
I read your link back in February but didn't take action as I thought the tyre where shipped from the USA... I was wrong.

Blockley are here on the shores of England and I have today made contact with them and they say the discount offer is still available but the original stock has sold out and will be replenished in May.
Delivery in UK is £5+vat each tyre

I am off to place my pre-order right now !!

Tom

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Michael, nice one for saving us poor Pagoda owner some money.
I read your link back in February but didn't take action as I thought the tyre where shipped from the USA... I was wrong.

Blockley are here on the shores of England and I have today made contact with them and they say the discount offer is still available but the original stock has sold out and will be replenished in May.
Delivery in UK is £5+vat each tyre

I am off to place my pre-order right now !!

Tom

Thomas, it's the story of MANY members who don't act in a timely manner. I'm still taking some orders for Pagoda World books, when the Volume 1 project is approaching a year old. People who clamored for grill badges didn't act until we ran out...and on and on it goes. Some claim never to have received the emails. Some never come to the forum to check out what's happening. Others provide cryptic contact information or emails they don't check, and lastly some have not updated their contact information. We don't make these programs for our personal health, we make them for the member's benefit.

If Blockley offers you the same prices as those who acted quickly and depleted their inventory, consider yourself lucky. Nothing in this world ordered today from a manufacturer is at the same price as an order a year ago. Blockley seems to be "exceptionally good people", so I don't know what they will do.

Though only a few members have reported back on the ordering, I remember they had a good inventory when we started so this was an exceptionally good "clearance sale" for them, and a good deal for our members--particularly those seeking WW tires.

Hoping for the best for you!  The wait will be worth it.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
...Blockley ships to the U.S. via UPS...

That may be today, but they do constantly check (as all good shippers should) pricing on all shipping methods and use the best. When mine arrived nearly a year ago, shipped to Motorwerks Group in Michigan where my car was worked on, they came DHL. No additional customs costs. Luck of the draw I guess.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Don't misunderstand - I was not complaining, just passing along the information for the good and welfare.

Many in the M.G., Jaguar and other British car communities regularly order parts from the UK.  UPS brokerage service and fees are a fairly common subject of discussion on the British car forums - not just among folks here in North America, but also folks in the Far East and numerous countries down under.  It seems that UPS may often enough quote a lower shipping price than the competition to the vendor, but the final cost to the consumer can sometimes end up higher than the competition by the time UPS brokerage service and fees are factored in.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)