Author Topic: New PEV Hybrid car coming next week...  (Read 27273 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: New PEV Hybrid car coming next week...
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 13:15:27 »
Mike,

Do keep us up to date as to how you like to drive the car(s) it would be great feedback.

This link here has some great tips on fuel savings.

Click to open, some good pointers ------> http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/how-to-save-money-on-gas/index.htm
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 14:01:14 »
Rolf-Dieter,

I've been driving it around town. It's great; the pure-electric mode won't last long, and if you take it on a highway, you'll drain the battery in a hurry. But, driving around town it's fine. There's no trunk to speak of, being consumed by hidden batteries, but for passengers this car is quite comfortable. Normal operation mode is "automatic"; the car decides when to use the battery, and when to turn on the engine. For the around town yesterday, I switched to pure electric just for fun. It's pretty amazing how the auto engineers have managed to provide the same feel in driving to a car with a totally different power train. This feels like a normal car; the Smart Electric, by contrast, felt like an extremely powerful golf cart, but it doesn't have an engine. My wife was second guessing herself about getting rid of the Taurus SHO, but she won't miss the $200+ monthly fuel bills. Gas is near to $4 a gallon here. We'll put about 15,000 miles per year on her Fusion Energi, and maybe close to 10K on the other.

Most of that Consumer Reports article is all common sense stuff. I've been telling people to use regular gas for a long time. On any car with a computer controlled engine management system (like the last 20 years or so?) shouldn't make a difference except in HP. If you plan on a run on a dyno, go ahead and fill with premium. I cannot believe, after just coming from a 1,500 mile road trip, how many people drive at full highway speed with the windows open! I couldn't stand the noise! (and yes I wear earplugs when I drive the Pagoda for extended highway runs!) I'd have to believe a trailer or one of those hitch-mount platforms is better than a roof rack!

Started making plans (that was the electrician) for installing the level 2 charge station; this will be a 220V charger which works in 2.5 hours instead of 7. There's a little bit of work involved there starting at the service entrance, but should be complete by the end of July.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 14:06:34 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 07:15:20 »
$4 a gallon that's tough ???
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 12:02:01 »
Nice feedback Mike .... Thanks!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 12:03:30 »
$4 a gallon that's tough ???

Gas or petrol is relatively the same all over the world; the barrel price of oil doesn't change as much from geography as it does from time. You folks over there triple the price of fuel with taxes to pay for a social economy. We don't have that here. What's happened, however, is that fuel prices locally have gone up nearly 25% in the past six months. That kind of rise spurs some action. If we can reduce our fuel cost, we will.

How much is it that you pay for your health care? Oh, that's right--you have the NHS!  ;) Planning on a university for my daughter is looking to be over $50,000 per year…how much do your university students pay? Oh, that's right. Capped at L9,000? Those two items alone are just indicative of why taxes on fuel (and VAT and darn near everything else) are so high in UK and EU.

The peculiar thing is there doesn't seem to be a reason for the fuel price increase--it just happens. Down in North Carolina, just the other day, I paid a significantly less $3.22 per gallon…for no apparent reason. Confounding this, their gas tax in NC is about twice that of Michigan! Go figure.  :-\
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 12:47:38 »
Nice feedback Mike .... Thanks!

The more you drive, the more you learn. At the conclusion of each trip, the car presents a summary of time, distance travelled, eMPG, how much EV versus gas mileage, and the fun and all important summary of braking efficiency--how much of the braking energy was returned to the battery. If you are very careful in the right amount of traffic, you can achieve 100% or near to it. This means, for example, that your brakes were not used at all, but the motor was used as a generator for all the braking. You get a grade for each full stop, too--and it becomes a game to try and improve your braking and keep it above 90%.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 13:22:32 »
Looks like Mike the automotive engineers and designers do have there long term thinking caps on when designing those cars for now and the future!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 15:46:23 »
This morning, again, learning a bit more: the summary was this on my ride home from the gym.

Distance travelled: 3 miles
Braking Regen efficiency: 84%
EV Miles: 3
MPG: 999 (no gas used)
kW-Hr consumed: 1

There are a few stop lights on this route home, and you can't control when they go yellow and red. Shorter stops=lower braking efficiency.
As you can see it was all electric on this route.
At my current rate, this 1 kW-Hr cost $0.12.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid