Author Topic: HELP! (Please?)  (Read 1511 times)

Chip Mochel

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Gig Harbor
HELP! (Please?)
« on: July 04, 2023, 17:38:20 »
Hi,
My wife’s 88 year old dad passed away in May and I have been assigned the task of selling his beloved white 1968 280SL Pagoda Coupe.  You all know what they look like I am sure, it has what I’ll call “Chocolate Brown” interior.

I am hoping for some help on how and where to sell this vehicle and how best to determine its value.  I know nothing about these automobiles.  I am offering a little information in the event it helps and makes a difference to any replies I might be lucky enough to receive from any/all of you.

He is/was the original owner.  He bought it in Germany in 1968 while serving in the US Air Force.  He shipped it back to the States.
For the first 15 years of its life, it was used as a “Sunday” family car.  The subsequent years it was often “winterized” and put up on blocks as he served overseas around the world.

I have learned the odometer for the entire run of this model had only five digits.  The odometer on this car was part of the "U.S. Kit" and is in MPH, thus the total mileage on this car is 118,879.

The car is in excellent shape.  We just had a mechanic tune it up and he said the undercarriage looks great, (no rust), and wondered where it had spent its life.
He had air-conditioning installed by Mercedes here in the States sometime after the original purchase. It has not been in any accidents.

There you have the basics.  I would appreciate any advice on where to get its value accurately appraised and where to best attempt to sell it where it will find a good home.  This car was her dad’s little dream car for his entire adult life.  She’d love to have that feeling continue with a new owner.

I just discovered this group/club(?) and am not sure how this forum works exactly.  I guess I need to check back and see if anyone replies.

If anyone considering replying could also cut and paste your reply to my direct email, I’d really appreciate it.  That way I know I’ll receive your information.

I have taken (32) photos of this car and posted them to Dropbox.  If you'd like to see them you can contact me with your email address and I will provide you with the link to be able to download them for viewing on your computer.

Thank you all.

Chip Mochel
chipmochel@gmail.com

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 18:05:20 by Chip Mochel »

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: HELP! (Please?)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 18:10:00 »
Chip I sent you an email. You will find this group to be very helpful. Post some more pictures.

A few questions after reading it....automatic or manual? If it is a 1 owner car is the original sales/purchase paperwork included to substantiate that? What service records are included from over the years? What's the condition of the soft top? These are things people will want to know.

Based off the front marker lights and U.S. headlights it was converted to a U.S. spec car if it is indeed a Euro example. There is a metal plate inside the engine bay on the front drivers fender people will want to see. Also showing us the door panels and the badging on the back will help determine U.S. VS Euro
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 18:14:47 by Vander »
1969 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 22:51:46 »
To get a good value estimate, you can engage a reputable appraiser.
To sell you can advertise here, kind of like you are doing already, or sell on Craigslist, Hemmings, Ebay, Bring a trailer, or through an auction house. It's not complicated.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Chip Mochel

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Gig Harbor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 01:24:48 »
Thank you so much for your reply Cees.

Some other folks have asked me to take and post some additional photos.  I am in the process of doing that now.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 16:18:47 »
Chip,

Sorry about your loss.  That looks like a great car your father-in-law had.  He must have been a very interesting guy.

First, never post your email address and phone number on the internet.  Every internet user (and automated search bot) in the world has access to read that and use it to their nefarious ends.  Please edit that post and remove it for your own personal security.  You can set your profile to allow people to send you private messages within this site (and notify you by email).  You can also allow secure access to your email.  See below.

You can start here for a very rough estimate as to value of the car, but an actual professional estimator would be able to do better.  Sorry, I don't know any to refer you to.
https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools

If you sell it at an auction site like BAT (https://bringatrailer.com/mercedes-benz/w113/) or eBay, then the market (and how you present the car to the market) determines the value.  It's worth what people are willing to pay for it, and it's up to the seller to make it really appealing to buyers.  Your example may be worth above average.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 16:29:09 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 16:46:35 »
There will be people who will make you offers sight unseen however unless you are looking to sell it quickly ignore them.
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

Chip Mochel

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Gig Harbor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 18:09:17 »
Thanks Paul.  It was nice speaking with you.

Bshaunessy

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Invermere
  • 1957 190 SL; 1970 280 SL; 1975 450 SL; 1971 300 SE
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 19:13:48 »
Chip
 Email sent requesting Dropbox coordinates. ( and offering some advice RE sales process)