Author Topic: Hood does not release  (Read 2289 times)

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
Hood does not release
« on: April 07, 2023, 18:09:23 »
Hello, After many years of restoration of my 1970 280SL, rebuilt engine from Metric, rebuilt transmission from Sun Valley, a good test run, today I got the hood on ready to go get my inspection to get my license plate and hit the road. Now the hood will not open. the cable is not broken and I can hear it moving at the catch. I have read the forum and there seems to be various thoughts on how to do this, reaching up and pushing on the release hook, moving the release hook at the cable connection with the tool as described by Rolf-Deiter and the tool described by Hauser, (Roadbook) which seems interesting. I am confused as to the cause of the problem, could be the cable pin at the catch or could be the upper catch is not properly attached to the hood, (I can't remember if I tightened it) or something else.

Any advise would be helpful I do not want to cut the hood now that the car is 98% finished.

Michael Foster
Republic of Panamá

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Hood does not release
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 03:06:55 »
Probably the cable came loose at the latch or possibly a hood adjustment problem when you had the hood off. Try having someone push downward on the hood (near the latching mechanism), while you pull the release lever. Keep holding the latch while they let up on the hood. If your lucky, it will pop open. Adjust or secure the cable before you close it again.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 19:35:01 »
Thanks
I had tried that and I just tried again and no luck.

MF

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 00:04:02 »
At present my hood (bonnet for those across the pond) is not yet installed. However, I did install the cable. The only suggestion I can offer is to unfasten the cable pull next to the driver's left knee which is held in place with two screws (probably 7mm or 8mm hex head). This will enable you to pull directly on the cable (you've been pulling on a lever the cable is attached to). If you are lucky and its just out of adjustment, being able to pull the cable just a skosh more might result in release. Be gentle. Did I say be gentle? And if it does release, you will see the adjuster next to the latching mechanism. Refasten the cable you unfastened and adjust cable at latch. Good luck and let us know.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 13:23:46 »
Lester, Thank for your thoughts.
I had done what you say and stiil it does not open.
I have made the tool as described by HAUSER at http://w113.eu/geschlossen/Optimierungen/Motorhaube%20oeffnen%20Notoeffnung%20Mercedes%20Pagode%20W113.htm
and I am going out to the garage to see if I can get it open with the tool I have fabricated from a weed eater shaft. I will let you know.

MF

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 02:30:56 »
Michael, you might be able to get a bore scope up there from below to actually see what the problem is.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 14:46:04 »
Thank you for the suggestion.
I had an old one, but it is only for windows 7. I have ordered one from Amazon and I should have it in a couple of days. I got a mirror up in there as well as an LED light, but I cannot see inside the catch bracket, only the side where the cable attaches, which looks OK. I also see that the tool I made has wedged itself between the hood and the catch bracket and will not come out. I have made another tool and now that I can see where it should go I will try again later today.

MF

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 17:06:49 »
Not related to your problem, but I have to say I find the color of the car stunning - at least how it presents in the one photo you posted. If you know the code/name of it I would appreciate it.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 12:04:28 »
Well Thank you, It looks even better in person and in the sunlight.

The color is MB Iridium I got it from my 2011 GLK I cannot find the code (Could be 1111), but here is the data sticker off the car.

MF

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 23:05:08 »
Well folks I did it.
After over 40 hours of trying over 3 weeks, I got the hood open.

The trick is an endoscope and a special tool. first I tried blind and this did not work at all. I tried several times with a lighted endoscope taped to a hanger wire. It was impossible to maneuver the endoscope with one hand and maneuver the tool with the other hand. I was able to attach the endoscope to a mechanics claw and tape the claw to brake pipe. This allowed me to see clearly the catch where I discovered that the pin had dissapeared. I was able to place the tool opposite the pin hole lever and after a few tries, (the piece you need to move is only about 4mm wide), it popped open. What joy.

Here is a photo of the tool I used. I hope no one has to go through this.

MF

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 23:08:18 »
Seem the phote did not go.
Here it is

MF

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 08:21:03 »
That must have been a huge relief!
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 09:34:46 »
Can you post a photo of the part that was ‘stuck’ please?
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 15:19:47 »
Well done!! Perseverence and ingenuity! And thanks for sharing the process and tools - hope I never have to make and use them though.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

jKrashnburn

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Edmonton
    • Krashnburn
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 18:35:51 »
Thanks Michael for your generosity in sharing this ordeal with those excellent descriptions. This will be a god send to those of us who might have the misfortune to face this problem.
Indeed, a photo of the offending part, with your tool inserted - so to speak - would cap things of nicely!

John
John
1957 190SL 8500074 (RIP?)
1968 280SL 11304410006390 (RIP?)
1969 280SL 113044120011428 - Light Beige/Cognac

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 14:42:26 »
I am away from Home for a few days.
When I return I Will send a photo of where the tool goes.

I Made a mistake on the measurements of the tool it is not milímeters but centímeters

Also the "stuck" parte was one of the tools I Made that got stuck between the latch on the firewall and the hood. It got in and would not come out Even thought I was able to move it a bit. I think it was held by the Bolt that holds the bracket on the hood, since when the hood opened it fell out.I Will send photos as well

MF

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 14:56:20 »
Mindful that this could happen suddenly at any time, although i guess it might be rare, i had a bit of a fiddle today.  I've threaded some small diameter, very strong wire through the same hole that the release cable enters the catch, and wound the wire around the catch (the part that moves when you pull the lever) and out through the same hole, and left a loop in it.  i then joined some more wire to it, and routed the wire along the fire wall and dropped it over one the brackets on the firewall, my car is RHD so LHD drive cars may be different, but i'm sure there's a bracket you can use.  I put some PVC cable insulation on the bracket so the corner wasn't sharp and dropped the wire down, it hangs down just next to the oil filter.  i joined a jubilee clip to the end, a nut would suffice, to act as handle, or you can put a bar through it to give more leverage if needed.  With some force when you pull on the wire the catch will release, bearing in mind my release cable is still fitted, so you're pulling against the resistance of that.  If the release cable was broken or became disconnected, there would be less pressure on the catch and it should release relatively easily

I don't have a lift, but i should imagine with the car in the air, you may even be able to reach up and grab the actual looped wire and pull the catch open, without extending the wire down to ground level, with all the faffing about i did lying on my back

Hopefully i'll never need to use it, but a at least i now have the reassurance that i can open the bonnet/hood should the release cable fail

Should have added, if you do decide to extend the wire down over the bracket, you'll need stranded, flexible wire, rather than solid copper, as that would be too stiff.  Very strong fishing line or braid would work just as well
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 15:05:27 by BobH »
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 13:22:15 »
BobH is correct and I plan on doing something as he describes. I never want to have to do this again.

Here are some photos of the tool positioned for use.
First is the tool and where it was stuck as requested by AdelaidePagoda
then the catch, Removed from the car, with green tape where you need to place the tool and apply pressure
then several photos of the tool and where it should go. I have placed a shim since the tool need to be up against the top of the catch.

Only allowed 4 photos so I will send the other 2 in another post

MF

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2023, 13:35:18 »
Here are the other photos.

If anyone wants any more information please contact me at mfoster@cableonda.net
I will be glad to help anyone with the ordeal I have gone through.
Restoring this car has been a great challenge through the whole process, but this hood problem had been the most difficult and I hope no one has to endure this.

Now on to the hard top that does not fit. it seems that the windshield frame is not in the right place, (the frame and firewall was reconstructed), the front locks are 1/2 inch too far back and the adjustment is not enough.

MF

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2023, 14:04:25 »
I actually did away with the drop down to the oil filter, it's not needed.  If you make sure you have a line of sight from the loop in the wire from the catch down to the floor, you can reach up from beneath with a length of rod, catch the end of the looped wire and with a flick to the right the bonnet/hood releases

Michael, i guess when the hood release cable is disconnected the catch takes very little pressure to move it, i can't see that it's spring loaded, does it move relatively freely?
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Michael Foster

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Doral
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2023, 15:46:14 »
BobH
Yes the catch is spring loaded, but very little.
I will add a cable from the catch to somewhere, not sure where just yet, but as you say I could leave it somewhere where I can reach it, then it is just a matter of a slight pull to open.

MF