Author Topic: Superlube grease for rear wheel bearings?  (Read 4089 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Superlube grease for rear wheel bearings?
« on: February 19, 2016, 20:59:21 »
I am toying with using some Superlube Silicone based Teflon grease in the rear wheel bearings of my car and was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area?   I think it would not get diluted by the axle oil and would remain in the bearing longer.  I use it almost exclusively on the yacht I work on I just have never used it on a car. 

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Superlube grease for rear wheel bearings?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 21:21:31 »
The grease on the outer axle bearings should never come in contact with gear oil. If they do, the seals are leaking. The grease on the bearings is a one time shot. 

Wheel bearing grease needs to have high impact resistance. I don't think this grease has that.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 22:24:43 »
Wallace,
That is a good point and I had not thought of it.  I just checked and they do make an extreme pressure and temperature version that they recommend for extreme shock applications.  I do know that the concept is that the grease should not leave and the inner seal should keep them separated I have seen more without grease than with.  One one hand I know good old EP Grease will work for quite a while but on the other hand I know that the Superlube won't harden up or mix with the diff lube.  Sort of a tossup at this point. 

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 05:51:52 »
Here is a product I have used and is great. You get it on your hands and it wont come off. Wurth products are usually good.

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefront/Chemical-Product/Lubricants/Grease/SIG-3000-Super-Grease-14-Oz-Tube/p/1890402
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 21:20:09 »
Boy that brings back memories.  I used to use that stuff 20 years ago to hold the rocker arms on flat 4 Subarus while installing the cam housings.  That stuff stuck them like glue.