Author Topic: Swapping of 4sp to automatic/ Play in steering/ power steering!  (Read 2471 times)

befunone

Hi everyone. Have been fascinated by all the amazing answers on the site. Wow

I hope I do not get flamed. Up until a few weeks ago, I had been a purist. After finding and watching an old show called Overhaulin, I have had a change of heart. They would take an old car and put modern suspension and brakes on during the rebuild. Bottom line was that you had the classic look with modern performance.

We have had a European 1966 230sl 4spd since 1984.

The car while restored, has sat last three years. Living in LA, traffic most times is gridlock. For me, I would drive the car more if it was automatic and had power steering.

Has anybody added auto or power steering? Heard of someone? Know of a supplier of these parts?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, my daily driver is a 2008 cls550. The best part of the car is how tight the steering is. I have a 55 t-bird and a 71 corvette. On the corvette I bought a new steering gear box (performance model) and all new eurothane bushings and still had a lot of play in steering wheel.

Driving with so play at freeway speed is like sawing wood and a little scary. any advice? I know I am driving old cars and not expecting to much i hope, I just would love to fix some nuances.

Thanks again for any help!

Best, Ty

jeffc280sl

Re: Swapping of 4sp to automatic/ Play in steering/ power steering!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 00:55:36 »
Hello Ty,

Here is a link to a discussion about power steering conversions on our cars.   

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10300.msg72605;topicseen#msg72605

If you use the search function I'm sure you can find some information on transmission conversions.  Quite a few of us at this site share your interests in performance and reliability.  Here are some topics for you to search concerning modifications.

polyurethane bushings
progressive springs
V8 brake upgrades
215-60/R15 tires with painted hubcaps
3,27 rear axle (if you decide to keep your 4 speed)
123Ignition system
55 amp alternator
koni shock absorbers

I have done all of these mods on my 280SL and performance and handling are very much improved. 

Good luck,