Author Topic: Brakes - Help  (Read 3005 times)

cynewan

Brakes - Help
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:56:15 »
  Hi guys ,
  I recently got this 280 sl. When i got it, the brake pedal was hard, and upon inspecting the rotors on all four, i realised that the drivers side (rear wheel) rotor was bad with uneven pad wear. I bought the parts and replaced the rear rotors and pads, now my brake pedal is so soft. I have also bled the brakelines  twice today and there's still no difference ( when i depress the pedal, there is no pressure build up to even make the pedal firmer ).   I have also noticed that no matter how much i bleed the rear brakes, i dont see any reduction in the master cylinder fluid level .Would anyone be able to offer some suggestions as to why theres this complete opposite change in pedal feel? thanks guys. Somebody please help

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Brakes - Help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:36:01 »
If the fluid level in the master reservoir is not getting lower as you are bleeding the rear then it is not working. You have to get fluid flowing through and out the rear calipers. Are you sure you are opening the nipples enough? (although normally just a little bit should be enough). Maybe the whole process has introduced some contamination into the system that is causing blockage?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

cynewan

Re: Brakes - Help
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 22:53:50 »
  I'm wondering if the master cylinder is bad. upon closer inspection I realise that the brake reservoir plug (the black rubber btn the reservoir and the master  ) for the front brake lines has brake fluid leaking around it. also the front lines continuously has lots of air in it  no matter how many times i've bled them