Author Topic: Drivers Side Mirror Location  (Read 6855 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Drivers Side Mirror Location
« on: February 22, 2010, 23:40:25 »
I cannot find anything using the search function, unless its there and I glossed over it.  I have seen photographs of early 63 230SL's that have the drivers side mirror placed so far forward it looks like it is over the left front tire.  Definitely out of reach if you are sitting in the drivers seat.  I was wondering when they moved the mirror back next to the driver or if there was a reason it was placed so far forward.  Was this something only on North American bound cars initially(the photograph is the cover of Canada Track and Traffic, July, 1964)?  It is more out of curiosity than my wondering if my mirror is in the right location.  Can anyone shed some light on this? ??? ??? ???
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Drivers Side Mirror Location
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 13:06:16 »
Jordan,

Was this by chance a RHD car or one destined for Japan?  Back in the day at least, I remember photos of most cars either in or for the Japan market having their side view mirrors mounted on the fenders instead of the doors.  Don't know if it was a law or cultural item.

Here is an example on a Toyota 2000GT:
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 14:03:05 »
Michael

The car is a LHD.  I have attached a picture, please excuse the quality.  This car was obviously used, based on the pictures inside the publication, as the test car for the write up.  Inside the pictures are B&W and show an Ontario plate.  Maybe it was a one off, I don't know.  Just thought it was unusual.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:51:56 »
I think the Japanese law is that the side view mirror must be visible through the windshield.

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 18:35:14 »
My late Italian 250sl had a mirror installed on the fender like your picture.   I'm positive the original owner did it in Naples Italy.  I guess some people preferred to have it down there for some reason. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:11 »
Visited the repair shop today and chatted with the owner when I noticed an early 230SL that had the mirror located on the fender and not the door. When I asked him why it was on the wrong location he replied "you are wrong, it is in the correct location"   ???  was my reply!
"Yes, it is correct for a French car" was the answer. Apparently in the early sixties French cars required movable/collapsible mirrors and this one of them. Here are two photos of what it looks like.
To me it still looks like a mirror that was used perhaps with a trailer.  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

kayemoxon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 14:11:30 »
For what it's worth here's my opinion.  Drivers side mirror should be located on the door panel. The mirror on the offside of the car should be mounted further back on the door in order that the drivers view of it is not obscured by the screen pillar. However, that looks a little 'unbalanced' and I opted to go for a more matched location for the offside mirror.  I often wished I had erred more on the side of practicality and moved the location back a tad more for an unobstructed view.
I got my period 'swan neck' offside mirror from SLS in Germany.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 15:54:56 »
Of course you are correct about the location of the mirror on USA cars and those sold in Germany, but I believe you missed the point.
Supposedly cars sold in France in those days required a collapsible/movable mirror which in turn required a more forward mounting location.
I hope that one of our French members here can shed some light on these early requirements.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

RBYCC

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 17:29:18 »
Fender or "wing" mounted mirrors were common on fifties and sixties European, British and JDM cars.
Keep in mind that most cars of the era didn't come with outside mirrors as standard equipment.
My 1956 Rolls Royce SCI standard steel saloon had wing mounted mirrors as did my numerous Jaguar MKII's and S-Types that I've owned..
I prefer the mirrors mounted on the doors on the W113.

The location actually makes sense when you get used to them as they eliminate the blind spot that door mounted mirrors inherently have.
Also many older cars had crank or push out vent windows in the door that would interfere with a door mount mirror.

The Talbot "bullet" style racing mirrors were very popular.
Talbot's shown  on my no longer owned, wish I still had it, 1966 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage Spec:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 17:57:15 by RBYCC »