Author Topic: Wiper blade refills  (Read 6940 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Wiper blade refills
« on: January 31, 2009, 20:44:05 »
For those interested, inexpensive wiper blade refills are available from "Trico":

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=492&location_id=67

Product # is 47-600.

They make refills to fit the 7mm trapezoidal claws on our wipers. You just cut the rubber to 305mm.
Although they come with the metal vertebrae that you have to cut to length, you can just reuse the originals.
I found them at Advanced Auto Parts.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Bob G

Re: Wiper blade refills
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:11:03 »

thanks for the helpfull information. these wiper blades dry rod after so many years . So finding replacements can be  expensive. I appreciate you letting us now this alternative.

Bob Geco

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:55:29 »
Andy is on to something.

Some years ago, I needed new wiper refills to pass a state inspection-- they flagged the wipers, and as it turns out, since I usually never drive in the rain, I was completely unaware that they were falling apart. As I walked back to the car with the inspection rejection receipt in my hands, I thought to myself "Now which supplier would be most likely to get me the _correct_ wiper refills within the ten-day grace period the state-inspection gives you before you need to completely re-do the test..." and for whatever reason I opened the trunk to put the paperwork in the document pouch I keep there (what's the glove box for, you ask? why gloves of course!). In fact, just that morning, I'd replaced my girl-friend's Honda wiper blades and the old one's were still in the trunk (hey, all personal-mechanics-on-call should drive pagodas :)). For the heck of it I picked them up, walked round to the front and compared their tracks to the crusty old ones. Behold! They were an exact fit! So I slid the honda's blades out, cut them down to size, and proceeded to install them. My old one's were so bad that even the year-old wiper blades from the honda looked new. I promptly walked back to the inspection person and informed him of my newly-installed wiper blades. He came over, looked at my 'new' blades (I'd craftily left the old one's sitting right there on the hood) and promptly gave me a passing grade!

Assuming you're still reading, I should tell you the point of all this: there probably are a lot of different cars that share the same wiper refills with our pagodas.
Now if only I could find and install the new pair I ordered after that inspection....  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:57:52 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:41:51 »
"They" say you should replace wiper blades (the rubber) every 6 months.
Another point in addition to Waqas' is that I've unfortunately got semicircular "wiper blade scratch marks" on my windshield glass, mostly on the driver's side. They've been there for at least 20 years. I've had the car for 30 years, but I can't remeber if the windshiled was ever replaced. In any event, I had always figured that they were caused by somebody running the wipers without any rubber in them. But just lately I must have realized that not even I might not be that careless, and I got the notion that maybe the wiper rubber can get brittle and hard and scrape the glass. I don't plan on replacing the windshield any time soon, but new rubber (and the intermittent wiper relay I installed) may prevent it from getting worse.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 20:02:55 »
If anyone is after a pair of 305mm MB wiper refills, I have a spare set that's yours for a small consideration and postage
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 21:07:41 »
Yes, Me!!!

naj
68 280SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:13 »
£127.50 plus postage to you!

;D ;D

I'll drop them in the post on Wednesday or Thursday
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:32 »
That must include wiper arms and mechanism since I already have the wiper motor and relay!

Thanks
naj
68 280SL

abe280SL

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:49 »
I just go to PEP BOYS and buy Bosch thin blades and cutt them to size using the old metal inserts.
abe