Author Topic: Speedometer Cable  (Read 928 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Speedometer Cable
« on: October 19, 2022, 11:51:54 »
Aargh!  I just did some work where I had to remove the instrument cluster and after reinstall, the speedometer isn't working.  The cable isn't new but it also isn't old, and it was working before I removed the instrument - so I feel confident it is not the problem.  I was hoping that I could sneak my hand under the dash just enough to remove and reattach, turning the inner cable to perhaps a better position, but I couldn't quite make that reach.
I hate to remove the Tach again for access but that may be the only viable approach.  Just though that I would run it through the Forum first and see if there were any easier approaches used to correct this.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
Re: Speedometer Cable
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 12:25:23 »
Harry, have you tried tapping the glass? My speedometer needle sticks every now and then after sitting a while - I simply lightly tap the glass with my fingernail to get it loose: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=29910.msg216659#msg216659. I suppose I could remove the speedo and send it back to Palo Alto but I really don't think it's worth the effort.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 13:34:29 »
Maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting at the other end, that might relieve some tension..or may not help at all.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 14:51:47 »
Dave - I actually began that last night but didn't finish because it was just too involved.  Access to the allen head screw above the shift linkage is a pain.

Charles - I'll give that a try and be really thankful if that does the trick!!

If no, I think I'll do whatever to remove the cable at the speedo and reattach.

Thanks very much,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic