Author Topic: Electronic Ignition By 123ignition  (Read 6310 times)

DavidBrough

Electronic Ignition By 123ignition
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:23:01 »
I came across the following electronic ignition set up and wondered if anyone had any experience of it.

www.123ignition.nl

It seems to be a direct swap electronic ignition distributor with pre set ignition mapping curves which you select as required and is less than £250.

David Brough

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
Re: Electronic Ignition By 123ignition
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:07 »
Hello,

If you need a complete distributor is may be an option.  If you are looking to go 'pointless' I would recommend pertronix.  I have used one of their units for about 5 years with great success - no timing shifting and no point bounce.  Pretty easy to install as well.

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:34:03 »
Hi Roger,

I have been thinking about changing to electronic ignition as the points set up does seem a bit fickle. Also, I am not sure about the condition of my distributor and was a bit wary of bolting something on that still left most of the old worn bits in place. This seemed to be the ideal alternative.

David Brough

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 13:45:28 »
David,
I had seen these at the Techno Classica in Essen.
Looks like it would swap one for one. You just have to choose the setting for the advance/retard curve you need.
Not tried it though.

Hope it works for you - let us know if you go for it...

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

enochbell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 18:25:53 »
David,

Here is a string that includes a decent discussion of electronics:

http://index.php?topic=3749

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 19:45:57 »
Hi David,

If nothing else, the 113 is a solidly built car.  I don't know how robust the distributor is - I've got about 120K on my car, and it was not an issue.  I use the approach that if it is working well, don't replace it (they knew what they were doing, for the most part, and the car is very solidly built).  The Pertronix is a fairly inexpensive upgrade - perhaps a good starting point in your situation....

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 13:35:30 »
Hi!
I've been on the 123ignition site.This product really looks interesting, as it allows for getting rid of the old centrifugal advance system.
I would though wait for user's advice before buying http://http://www.123ignition.nl/forum/read.php?f=3&i=114&t=114http://
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Bearcat

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:41:20 »
i put in crane xr700 electronic ignition. of all the things i have done to my pagoda this is sure the best move....trouble trouble free

280sl 1970
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 02:42:14 by Bearcat »

DavidBrough

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 09:12:22 »
Well I decided to buy the 123ignition and it fitted straight on in about an hour with no problems. Well perhaps one, you need very good eyesight and a very small screwdriver to select the correct advance curve. Still got there in the end and have just returned from a 250 mile visit to the south coast. All is well and the car performed nicely. Difficult to say if it is now running better than before but it certainly felt good.

At this stage I have left the ballast resistor in line but may try it without. I have a red coil and am not sure if these were ultimately designed to function best with the resistor or if it was purely there to protect the points. Does anyone know? The manufacturers say the ignition doesn’t require a ballast resistor and operates best with silicone leads. I still have my old ones and may try silicone leads later.

David Brough

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:07:41 »
@davidBrough:

On the web site, they say the overall resistance for the ignition coil shouldn't be less than 1 ohm.Just check it out.If it's ok, then imho you don't need any ballast resistor.
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp