W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Engine swap or rebuild?

<< < (2/2)

ja17:
Hello Peter,

Sorry to hear about your Pagoda problems. Let me know if anyone over here can help with parts or whatever. I am sure some good used heads are available.

Benz Dr.:
You also have the option of using a 250SE head which should help some. We weld corroded areas of a head as long as it's not too much or so bad it's not practical.
 If a head is machined beyond the limit, has corroded coolant chambers, is warped or cracked and has stripped threads, then it's probably a door stopper at that point.  :'(

If it was a 300SL head then maybe you would try and fix it. :)

treedoc:
Peter,

I know we are a long way away but in a few weeks I will have a spare early series 280SL head
About to fit a fully reconed, top & bottom, late series 280 motor in our Pagoda.

Sorry Erik don't have any 230/250 parts

Geoff

Peter van Es:
Thanks for all the offers of help (also those via PM)...

My local guy (Alex Vos in Baarn) has located a 2nd hand original head, and a completely refurbished head here in NL. He's going to look them over today or monday and haggle over price. Because he'll know exactly what he'll be getting he prefers that over alternative options.

So unless these prove to be dead-ends I'll keep your offers in reserve, and let you know how it is going.

To Erik, Alex specializes in old Mercedes, has been doing this for 25 years and also does engine rebuilds. Probably not as brand new as Metric Motors, but not as much of a price tag either.

Alex also does a lot of work for Holland's largest Mercedes collector, Nico Ockhuisen (see a video profile on him here... in Dutch http://zideo.nl/channel/cars/playzideo/6d596d576d6c673d)

Peter
Peter

Peter h:
Hallo Peter

i had the same problems with my engine 3 years ago. 3 l oil every 1000 km. 2 valve guides are lose and the cylinder are also corroded. The engine runs 130000 mils.
I send the engine to Väth, 1 week later the engine was back , averything new. Mr Väth give me a top price 5400 € 3 years ago. The engine now runs like new and needs under 0,5 l öl.
http://www.vaeth.com/motorentechnik/mercedes/motoren/m100.html

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version