Author Topic: engine stumble on deceleration  (Read 238 times)

96witton

• Junior Level
  • USA, VT, shelburne
engine stumble on deceleration
« on: May 08, 2024, 16:00:16 »
Hi, my 1969 280sl runs great. the only issue I seem to have is when I am decelerating (lower speeds, under braking) the engine stumble's. I have new injectors and have preformed a linkage setup check. I am thinking of going with an electronic ignition system? any suggestions? p.s. the car pulls very well and idel's great.
thanks Jim

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: engine stumble on deceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 14:44:31 »
If you have a stick, are you in 3rd or 4th gear when you let off the gas?  clutch in or out?    a  US '69 will have some smog devices that might be initiating, or maybe not.   Either case may cause some different noises and behavior so pay attention to which gear and clutch state when you hear things.   It might be the injection pump shutting off during decell, and it could be not shutting off and sending a bit of raw fuel to exhaust and making noise there.   the BBB has details under the pollution control addendum.  Neither is a problem though.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: engine stumble on deceleration
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 22:40:28 »
Hi, my 1969 280sl runs great. the only issue I seem to have is when I am decelerating (lower speeds, under braking) the engine stumble's.
When stopped, in park or neutral, do the RPMs rise when applying the brakes?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL