Author Topic: Strange vibration in first gear  (Read 8370 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Strange vibration in first gear
« on: May 21, 2004, 12:50:42 »
Greetings:

I recently purchased a 1965 230SL (manual transmission), and I'm slowly going down a list of repairs/issues. One perplexing problem is a strange vibration when driving off from stand-still (in first gear). It goes away after I get moving and release the clutch. This only appears from stand-still-- no problems when shifting to higher gears. I've been driving manuals since I was 13, so don't think that's the problem. The vibration is pretty strong-- as if the engine is fighting against it's mounts. Any ideas?

Thanks and kind regards,
waqas
--
1965 230 SL Euro, 4sp. man, dark green
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

blairwag

Re: Strange vibration in first gear
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 14:16:27 »
One possibility is clutch chatter. A situation caused by a warped surface of the clutch plate. The typical solution is to replace the clutch.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 20:53:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by blairwag

One possibility is clutch chatter. A situation caused by a warped surface of the clutch plate. The typical solution is to replace the clutch.

If it were a warped clutch plate, would this not also occur when switching in other gears?
The "shuddering" only occurs from a stand-still in first gear. Strangely enough, it does not happen while reversing.

There's also a strange grinding noise from the transmission/drive-shaft area while driving, when I take my foot off the accelerator (any gear). I'm just now reading about all the grease nipples on this car (!), so I'll see if the grinding continues after I grease the main drive-shaft nipples. The transmission doesn't seem to be having any problems while shifting (as far as I can tell).

On a related note, when I changed the differential fluid, I found tiny metal slivers gleaming in my empty oil container. I'm guessing I'll need a differential rebuild or replacement sometime in the future :-(

I wonder if the grinding is from the differential?

waqas
--

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 04:38:59 »
Hey waqas

If your engine mounts are old and tired you will have vibration of the internal rear view mirror and feel the vibrations throughout the car.
Similarly with the big rubber diff mount (accessible from within the boot) and the rear axle suspension rubbers too.
Worth a look.

Have a look here for the grease points
http://www.w111.net/html/abschmierplan.html

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 04:40:55 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 07:42:39 »
Even if the front engine mounts check out ok, be sure to check your transmission mount.  Bad ones on one of my other cars caused similar vibration problems in first and especially reverse.  Replacement cured the problem.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 22:03:28 »
Hello waqas,
Also check the rubber flex disc at the drveshaft/transmission connection. The rubber disc should not be cracked or shreaded. Make sure all the bolts are tight and correctly installed.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 13:58:46 »
Thanks for all the advice. Just a quick note to let you folks know that I haven't had a chance to look at mounts or flex disc-- been working on getting my daily driver going again (I've a funny tale about how my '87 Honda's head gasket blew on the way to go see my pagoda for the first time-- I guess my old car got wind of my intentions and started acting up!) Spent all weekend removing the head and doing other assorted repairs. Will report back as soon as I get back to the 230sl again.

Incidentally, while driving the pagoda to work today, I noticed some shuddering/vibration at speeds over 80kph (unrelated to clutch). The tyres seem balanced, but steering showed slight pulling (alignment). I suspect the shuddering has something to do with the suspension, or even said engine mounts. Just some more data, in case you gurus start seeing a familiar pattern.

waqas
--