Author Topic: Indicator Stalk replacement  (Read 5713 times)

alfie1977

Indicator Stalk replacement
« on: April 04, 2017, 21:49:28 »
Hi all, I'm close to buying a new indicator stalk for my 230sl (lhd). The best price I've seen is at //oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de for 299 euro, I've also spoken to the Mercedes classic centre in the uk and Benn given a price approx 200 euros higher. Are these parts the same? Has anyone bought from oldtimer-ersatzteille24?
If so were you happy with the quality? Thanks for any help.
Alfie

Jowe

• Silver
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Gothenburg
Re: Indicator Stalk replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:59:36 »
I have the oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de indicator stalk. It is a repro but looks and works as the original. (Don't tell anyone that I have a non-original part in my car ;))
Johan
04/1964 230SL, European, manual 4-sp, power steering, 050/050 white, black leather, Blaupunkt (SOLD)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:17:16 »
Alfie
i MAY be wrong - according to my wife, that's normal - but I've a feeling that the indicator stalks are sided. So they are different for LHD and RHD cars.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:11:58 »
I do not believe they are sided, I have just replaced mine , an early 250 SL, my back is still suffering !

As far as I know for the early type,  the original and  genuine OEM VDO items have no white lettering, and fit L&RHD, whilst the repro items appear to have  white lettering  on them, from what I have seen from suppliers on line details.
Read the technical manual here Alfie, as there are two types for the W113 SL, 230,& early 250, then late 250 and 280, they are not interchangeable.

Have fun
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:17:43 »
Thanks Paul - Happy to be wrong (used to it) but for some reason I had vague recollection of reading on here that they were sided. I did search and found nothing
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

alfie1977

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 14:07:01 »
Thanks for the advice. My main question is more related to any perceivable difference in quality between Mercedes genuine and aftermarket versions? I would have thought it is the same manufacturer?
Thanks
Alfie

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 15:03:26 »
Alfie
Ask where it was manufactured,
I was told genuine are vdo in Germany, and the repro copies come from China,.
Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 22:47:57 »
I was working on the wiring under my instrument panel today and when I managed to extricate myself (upside down under the dash with my feet in the air), I found my turn signal switch plastic housing in pieces scratching my back as I got up, so I am also in the market for a 230SL turn signal switch.
Question:  Is the original 230 switch still available?  If not, the quality of the reproduction part is moot.  MB Classic Center in Irvine, Calif. has a 455 Euro price on something but I don't know if it's an original part (but they offer a discount).  Vintage Euro Parts wants $355 for the reproduction part with the white lettering.
What to do?
Suggestions?
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:20 »
Hi Tom,

It is still available, and expensieve, over £400, here, Part No 001 545 55 24

There are plenty of copies available at lower prices, and you pay your money and take your choice....

My back has only just recovered.

If you fit one, remove the connector, make a torpedo of the pins using a finger from a vinyl glove, and wrap with tape, it is very difficult to thread down past the steering column housing.You need to remove the wheel to connect the two horn wires.

keep well

Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 17:10:55 »
Hi Paul,
After reading your reply above, I thought about all I had spent restoring my car so far and decided a couple of hundred dollars extra, although painful to spend, would probably be forgotten when I looked at the final product and thought about it lasting the rest of my life.
I ordered it 4/17 from Tom Hanson at Classic Center in Irvine, who shipped it the same day.  I received it the next day 4/18 here in Canada and, with the excellent suggestion that you made, installed it yesterday.  Preparation of the old and new parts (fingers from a nitrile glove and a couple of feet of vinyl tape as you suggested above), removal, installation and a few minutes of admiring my work took me about two hours.  My steering wheel was installed on the column but I had not yet installed the horn pad so I didn't have to remove that.  It's beautiful, original, and the cancellation works like a charm.  I'll have to wait to know if it works, but I have few doubts.

Thanks for your rubber glove finger and tape tip.  Only one extra comment.  Before installing the rubber glove finger and taping the wire ends, I straightened the pins at the end of the wires to be parallel to the wires.  It made the "glove finger bundle much smaller and capable of passing through the column without stress, neither the wires nor me.  After taking off the rubber glove finger, I just re-bent the wires at the pins and lined them up before reinserting them in the connector.  The Mercedes-Benz system came with a new 2-piece brown bakelite 12-pin connector, so now I have lots of spare parts, except for the plastic handle on the end of the shaft.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 18:39:53 »
Hi Tom,

Glad you got sorted,
I love this site, it is great how we can help each other all over the world, 
 we can see how others have tackled pagoda problems before, this has saved me many hours and 💰 over the years.

Keep well

Paul

Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

alfie1977

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 20:05:28 »
Just a quick update, I went for a Mercedes VDO replacement and fitted it today using the tips above. Cheers for the help and advice.
Alfie