Author Topic: Drive Shaft Centering Cross  (Read 188 times)

miked_md

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Queenstown
Drive Shaft Centering Cross
« on: May 06, 2024, 18:10:16 »
The driveshaft centering cross on my 230SL came apart during disassembly so I am replacing it.  The inner bushing/ball/spring were fine so I just ordered the centering cross intending to reuse the internals.  The part that I received however has a slightly larger internal diameter so that the bushings that the ball sits in can move.  This extra movement may result in vibration and extra wear on the flex disc.  Has anyone else had experience with this?  The alternative is to return the part and buy the whole assembly which hopefully has a better fit for the bushings.

Thanks,

Mike

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Re: Drive Shaft Centering Cross
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 18:48:41 »
Mike,

I had to replace my centering flange while installing a new flex disc and transmission mount. I ordered mine from the MB Classic center. As I recall you can purchase the flange separately without the internals or with the internals or just the internals. It's not clear from your post where you purchased yours.

I would strongly recommend that you buy your parts from Mercedes. I had to replace my flex disc and centering flange and the transmission mount because the mechanic I used put in aftermarket parts that screwed up everything when the transmission mount collapsed. I learned that the rear of the engine was not the proper height because the aftermarket mount he used was not the same height as the Mercedes mount. The flex disc I bought was the exact same from Mercedes (SGF) as the same one from an aftermarket parts house but cheaper. It pays to shop because many assume the Classic center is always more expensive.

Bottom line IMHO, make sure you use the proper parts so you don't have to do it all over again.

Good Luck!

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

miked_md

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Queenstown
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 19:45:54 »
Tony,

Thanks for the advice.  The part was ordered from Authentic Classics, they have already provided a prepaid return shipping label.  I'll check with the MB Classic Center on the part.

Thanks,

Mike

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 20:07:29 »
Mike,

Just as a FYI, I've done a lot of business with George @ Authentic Classics and he is great to work with and super at correcting any mistakes they make.

I usually try to check with the Classic center 1st for price and if the part is available. If no longer available, Authentic Classics George is who I check next. They have a lot of the small weird stuff that no one else has. I do pay close attention to what I buy from them for authenticity and if the part is correct for my 280SL and also price. Their website is really good at having the part number available in most cases and you can also search the web based on the part number for availability elsewhere.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 13:48:32 »
Agree completely with Tony. George and Authentic Classics is the best. Quick service and fair price.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC