W113 Pagoda SL Group > Electrical and Instruments

Mercedes Benz Correct Battery for W113

(1/6) > >>

zoegrlh:
Has anyone purchased a new Mercedes Benz battery recently for your Pagoda?  I have just spoken to our local MB dealership parts department trying to find a replacement.  I currently have a MB A 003 541 33 01 that is kput.  Looking for new MB replacement battery.  Was told that A 003 982 31 08 is the replacement battery.  I then talked to Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center to see what the classic center uses for replacement.  It is the A 002 541 87 01 26, and they have in stock, however they can't ship the  battery, because of federal law.  So again I went back to the local MB dealer to see if the A 002 541 87 01 26 could be ordered.  Was told that they are not available.  Just wanted feedback to see if anyone has purchased the A 003 982 31 08, and does it fit correctly.
Bob   

rjmarco:
I ordered a Mercedes battery with this number 002 541 87 01 26 from the Classics Center back in 2013.  It took several months to get it from Germany and it was shipped to either me or my mechanic - can't recall which. 

I can tell you that in the first attempt to ship it to me, the package was found to be leaking by Fed Ex.  It became a haz waste issue which the Classics Center handled.  I did get a replacement but I can imagine that the Classics Center would now be reluctant to ship one. 

I do like the way the battery looks in my engine compartment and is a good fit.  Photo is attached. 

zoegrlh:
Just wanted to let all of you know that my hunt for the correct MB replacement battery was a success.  rjmarco was correct, the A 002 541 87 01 26 is the correct replacement, as per Tom Hanson at MB Classic Center.  They have a few of these batteries on the shelf.  Problem was that they could, and would not ship this battery to customers.  Tom suggested I contact MB dealer near me to see if they could search inventories world wide.  As last Friday, they could not locate form MB distribution depots.  So I went on a hunt and started calling MB dealers on the east coast to see if their parts departments might have this battery.  After many phone calls. low and behold, I found one last one at the MB of Arlington, Va.  Drove up there yesterday to grab that battery before someone else got it.  My understanding is that the few only existing A 002 541 87 01 26 batteries are sitting at dealers that might have a stocked the betters for future sales to classic W113 and W111's.  If you are in need for this battery, I would suggest that you start calling MB dealers in your area to locate one.  Don't know what I will do years from now when I will again need a MB replacement battery.  I guess I am a bit finicky, but wanted my engine compartment to be total MB parts.

Mike Hughes:
Hi Bob -

The Classic Center will not ship activated batteries direct to an individual (very likely because of the HazMat issue), but should be able to ship a dry battery to your local M-B Dealer Parts Department, which can then activate it.  I suspect the reason why M-B of Arlington had that battery in stock is because I had my 230SL in there for service after PUB 2017 and the tech may have seen the A 002 541 87 01 26 battery in my car that I had ordered through MB of Tysons a couple of years earlier.  I remember him commenting on it at the time.  M-B of Tysons had to get it from the Classic Center in Germany and it took a month or more for it to arrive.

zoegrlh:
Hey Mike thanks, yea you are most likely correct. That parts man (Randy Nile) daw it in your car and decided to stock one. I am glad your car gave him the idea to order one. Also Classic Center has filled their dry batteries already, because I asked Tom if he could ship me a dry battery, said he had none dry. But I am a happy person now. Would have hated to put a Interstate battery in. Next time around might have to if Daimler Benz does not have these produced again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version