Author Topic: Water Pump  (Read 3527 times)

n/a

Water Pump
« on: September 15, 2003, 12:46:06 »
I am about to do the big cooling fix. I have a new radiator on it's way from ebay. Only US$420! Probably a recore, but hey, it has to be better than the one I have. I also have a new fan clutch coming from a very generous lister on this site. Now, I'm thinking I should do something with the water pump while I'm at it. Rebuild? Replace? I'll also do hoses and such, but I think this should hit the big potential problem areas.

What's involved in rebuilding a water pump?

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

n/a

Re: Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 16:42:39 »
Shawn,
I replaced my clutch and water pump this last weekend. I do not believe that you can rebuild the pump. I have the shorter version and it can't be rebuilt.
I bought an OEM pump from MB, not an aftermarket. The pump that I replaced, although still working fine, was an aftermarket. Comparing the two, I noticed that the impeller on the MB pump extended into the housing about 2-3mm more than the aftermarket pump, yielding better efficiency. I recommend using only original MB for the pump.
The system now seems to cool much better.
The next step is to replace or recalibrate my gauge, which I confirmed is reading approximately 18-20'F higher than actual.
While you have everything else off the front of the engine, now is the time to replace the front seal.
Good luck.

Regards,
Stan

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Water Pump
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 06:23:07 »
In the UK, rebuilt exchange water pumps are available from MB.
Exchange price is about £30.00 roughly US$45.00.
For that sort of money, I replaced the pump which comes with MB warranty. :|
naj

naj
'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL