Author Topic: Battery Cable length  (Read 10358 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Battery Cable length
« on: January 21, 2008, 20:33:36 »
Does anyone know the length of the cable from the battery positive pole to the starter?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Battery Cable length
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 00:40:02 »
I've an extra cable in the garage. I'll measure it and let you know tomorrow.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

pauldridge

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 21:57:03 »
I keep a supply of raw battery cable, solder-type terminal ends, and solder slugs on hand for such cables  (I know, for the concours guys, not original, but makes a tidy installation)... I purchased from
http://wiringproducts.com/index1.html  (no affiliation)..

real easy to use.. just drop one of the pre-sized solder pellets into the terminal barrel, heat with a torch, then slip the bare cable end and hold until the solder cools.

This was especially helpful when I replaced my starter cable... didn't have to undo the several circular cable guides on the engine... just slipped the raw end through, then cut and installed terminal on the battery end after the cable was installed in the car.  
quote:
Originally posted by AWOLFF280SL

Does anyone know the length of the cable from the battery positive pole to the starter?

Phil Auldridge
230SL soon to be 172 Metallic Grey/blue interior. Auto/AC

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 00:05:56 »
Just measured it stretched out from end to end at 160cm (including battery clamp and crimped connector at starter). I would suggest you keep it a bit longer and then cut to length at the battery end when all is in place. Be sure to use a thick enough guage.

Hope this helps.

Waqas in Austin, Texas

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 21:44:16 »
Thanks!
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:47:04 »
Just measured it stretched out from end to end at 160cm (including battery clamp and crimped connector at starter). I would suggest you keep it a bit longer and then cut to length at the battery end when all is in place. Be sure to use a thick enough guage.

Hope this helps.

Waqas in Austin, Texas

Hey Waqas, what would be the proper gauge for the positive battery cable? And 160cm is tip to tip?
James
63 230SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:51 »
Hey Waqas, what would be the proper gauge for the positive battery cable? And 160cm is tip to tip?

Unfortunately, James, I'm very very far away from my garage and cars right now, so can't give you more than a guess. If no one else has given a definitive response by the end of March, I'll gladly take a look and post it.

The 160cm I measured was tip to tip, and included the battery clamp and the crimped connector at the starter. I don't think a difference of a few cm will matter.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:04:06 »
Also, it's always nice to have a slightly longer cable so it can easily reach both battery terminals, in case you ever end up with one of those batteries with terminals positioned in reverse.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 20:10:00 »
Thanks Waqas. Anyone else know the proper gauge? I have decided its time to replace my positive cable. Having a driver and all -- I have decided not to spend the $200 for a Mercedes one. I did buy the correct MB terminal connector though -- just need to add the cable and a connector on the other end. Can anyone shed more light on this project ? ie crimp and/or solder? what size connector at starter? shrink wrap yes or no? Does cable just fish through the eyelets? etc

I do plan to go a bit long as I do have the reversed battery at the moment. Thinking about 65 or so inches.
James
63 230SL

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 23:20:46 »
James, where did you buy your correct MB terminal, do you have a part number.  Also did you ever find out the gage of the positive cable?
JohnS

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:05 »
Hi John. Dave Gallon sold me mine. Reasonable.

No I never got the definitive answer -- I bet Dave would know that too...

I still have my original in there but have the terminal if I ever get to changing the cable. It is a bit involved to replace the cable without a lift (I think), so I am living with my old one for now. If you find out the gauge let us know!!

Good luck
James
James
63 230SL

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:50:17 »
James, I found some parts I needed on the SLS website and also purchased the positive battery cable for $57.00.  From the picture it seems to have the correct terminals.  Will let you know when I get it.
JohnS

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:14 »
I believe the original was 6 guage.  I replaced mine with 4 guage  acid resistant cable marine quality connectors from the guys at http://genuinedealz.com/ in Georgia.  They'll make anything you want.  I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.  The quality and service were excellent, the prices were great. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

MBinIllinois

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 22:17:30 »
...I replaced mine with 4 guage  acid resistant cable marine quality connectors from the guys at http://genuinedealz.com/ in Georgia.  They'll make anything you want.

Hi Raymond,

I need to replace mine too.
Do you have the exact specs (what connectors, length of cable etc.)? Would make it easier to order from those guys.

Thanks in advance!
MBinIL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 14:38:51 »
I don't have the specs handy, but I recall the web site was easy to navigate and had photos of the connectors.  I recall ordering 4 guage cable and a foot of shrink tubing in each red and black and the top of the line anti-corrosion connectors.  A year later there is no trace of corrosion on the posts or connectors.  I also got the insulated connector covers.  It isn't for show but prevents errant sparking from carless wrench handling.  I can't recall the cost except that it was cheaper assembled and shipped than purchasing individual parts at Advance Auto Parts and the quality is better.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe